Setting up new router

Rob_101 18:52 07 Jul 2008

I currently have broadband with Orange with a speedtouch USB modem. I have got another PC now and need to connect this to the internet, aswell as my current PC.

I have bought an Edimax AR 7084A wired router so i am able to do this, because my current Speedtouch router does not have any ethernet ports.

Can anybody advise me on how to set up this new router in the easiest way, ie. things i will need to know before i start uninstalling my current internet software. eg. ip address etc.

Will it be a simple task?

Any tips on this will be appreciated.

Thanks

dms_05 22:07 07 Jul 2008

You may need to set up the Edimax for the specific Orange broadband parameters - look at the Orange set up details and compare them to your default settings on the router.

After that just connect a LAN cable from the router to both PC's and they should automatically find the IP address themselves (if DHCP is selected to automatic on the router).

You might find just plugging in and trying the internet will give you a connection but I assume you will need to enter your Orange UserName and Password on the router so it can connect automatically when it's turned on.

You will probably be able to enter your routers set up by typing in an IP address in your Browsers address bar. Typically it will be something like 192.168.0.1 but the manual will tell you what it is and also the Router Username and Password (which is NOT the same as the UserName and Password you need to access your Orange account!).

It can look complex but in reality it's simple once you've done it the first time!

Rob_101 23:04 07 Jul 2008

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Its all done now, a quick phone call to Orange, who gave me all the details I needed such as passwords, usernames, IP addresses and everything went perfect! :)

Much easier than I thought it was going to be! :)

What a difference in speed I have noticed though, going from a speedtouch USB modem to the Edimax. It's much quicker.

Cheers

Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?