setting up a network for sharing

rum98 03:07 10 Oct 2006

my network setup consists of a desktop (win XP prof SP2) and two laptops (win XP prof SP2/win xp home). Both units with win XP prof OS shows all computers connected (including my win xp home OS laptop) to the network when viewed in "My Network PLace". However, when I view my network place in my other laptop with the win xp home OS, it does not show the other two computers. What is the problem?

Also when i place a file in the shared folder of my desktop unit, this file could not be seen by any of the other two laptops. What is the problem here?

Will appreciate any help.

Danoh 08:37 10 Oct 2006

Each of your computers should be set with the exactly the same Workgroup name.
Start> System> Computer name> Change

But each computer should have its own unique name. Keep all the names short (for ease of future network drive mapping).

"Network Place" does occasionally not show what is connected reliably, especially when they are swapped in and out of the network. (hence the use of network drive mapping)

I presume you haven't set up any security on your network? Encryption, MAC address filtering, etc?

Strawballs 09:55 10 Oct 2006

I think it could be the workgroup that is a problem because XP pro uses a different name as default to XP home just go to the XP pro and see what it has called it's worgroup and set the XP home to the same. You can call the workgroup anything that you want as long as they are all the same.

rum98 03:08 11 Oct 2006

thanks for your response. All three computers have the same workgroup name and each computer has its distinct name. All three computers are encryted using MAC filtering when i setup my wireless network using netgear products (routers and adapters)

Strawballs 14:23 11 Oct 2006
  Strawballs 16:20 11 Oct 2006

click here sorry try this

moorie 17:24 11 Oct 2006

whats connecting the laptops to the network? usb?pcmia whatever type card or wireless onboard?

moorie 18:12 11 Oct 2006

in terms of networking has your network performed any function yet?

Danoh 00:19 13 Oct 2006

Have you set the software firewall on each machine to accept LAN IP addresses as being from trusted computers?

P/S
I presume you have entered the MAC addresses for the wireless component in each computer rather then for the computer itself?

And MAC address filtering does not actually encrypt the data being transmitted wirelessly, WPA/WEP does.

Danoh 00:21 13 Oct 2006

P/P/S Are you in a Far East time zone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?