Setting up network - queries and plea for help

Bidey 12:31 15 Feb 2008

Hi,

I have set up our TalkTalk wireless router, a Hauwei 520 via my new Laptop pc running Vista and it is working great. All done via TalkTalk Plug and Go CD steps etc.
However upstairs in bedroom is the old Desk top pc running XP and is hard wired to scanner and printer.

I need now to add either Wireless UBS adaptor to D/top per statement below or a Wireless PCI card (some feedback suggest that PCI better than USB adaptor re speed etc)

“Our PC in the spare room is too far away to connect with a cable, so we’ll add it to the network in the easiest way possible: with a USB Wi-Fi adaptor.”

Also suggest that we use same manufacture to help ensure compatibility etc. Not sure if Hauwei manufacture a Wireless PCI card

I want to also be able to print from laptop via wireless network which maybe using D/top as server to printer and ultimately scan docs /photos and pick up from Laptop wirelessly.

It feels like a logistic / wiring/wireless nightmare is there any way of spelling / graphically laying it out for the slightly technical layman??

Zaphod 3 15:07 15 Feb 2008

Would it not be possible to install a telephone extension into the bedroom, and wire the router to the desktop, using the ethernet cable. Laptop will then be connected wirelessly.

Bidey 15:54 15 Feb 2008

Hi,
I'm advised that it is better to fit the Modem/router direct to master socket.
I had a hard modem connected 2nd socket upstairs then a 5 metre cable extension and it was a lot "slower" then current wireless to Laptop.
But may try this at some point as an option. Although a bit nervous messing about with the router and between Vista and XP
Bidey

Zaphod 3 19:40 15 Feb 2008

You can connect to the master socket, and then coonect a telephone socket to that by following click here

You do lose a bit but not an awful lot though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?