Setting up my own connection within a houseshare?

Callum-1623688 17:02 05 Oct 2010

So I'm a student now and I'm renting a room off a family and several other students are too. The problem lies within internet use.

I'm on the fourth floor myself and the Wireless router is on the ground floor. Naturally the connection is horrific and drops all the time.

What I need is advice on how I can get a decent connection for myself without treading on the toes of the family. The router and connection is not mine and I do not want to come marching down to their area of the house demanding they move their router and set up X, Y and Z to suit me.

Are there any other methods I can take to try and improve the connection in my own room.

I have myself my own Router and even a BT Phone line in my room. I had thought it would be as simple a matter of plugging my router in here but it was not the case unfortunately. Can I connect my Router wirelessly to theirs and then connect my PC and Xbox to my Router either wirelessly or with Ethernet cables? Is there any other device I should think about purchasing to give me a solid network or connection in my room?

I'm embarassingly Un-Techy and know very little about any of the information I would need to give for anyone to be able to give me any decent advice so it is probably the best policy for people to just ask me whatever they need to know before they can help me and I'll try to find out.

Thanks in advance for any help. Would be much appreciated.

Nontek 18:01 05 Oct 2010

By connecting to your 'Landlords' Router, you would be committed to using their ISP - you have a BT Line and a Router, so if you get your own ISP (maybe even on a Monthly pay system) I would think you should then be fine.

onthelimit 18:07 05 Oct 2010

same thread opened on Networking

karmgord 18:54 05 Oct 2010

network over the ring mains.

Callum-1623688 19:06 05 Oct 2010

"By connecting to your 'Landlords' Router, you would be committed to using their ISP - you have a BT Line and a Router, so if you get your own ISP (maybe even on a Monthly pay system) I would think you should then be fine."

I think I may have misworded it. I do not have my own BT Line it is the same phone service as theirs. What I meant was that I have a DSL Line in my room and thought I could plug my router into it to get a good connection in my room. I am still planning to use the same ISP as them. I just want to do something so the signal strength is good for me.

"network over the ring mains."

I have no idea what this means at all. Could you explain further?

john bunyan 19:27 05 Oct 2010

Have a look at this type of thing:
( LAN via main circuit)
click here

Also some wirless routers have matching boosters sited suitably.

Callum-1623688 20:11 05 Oct 2010

"Xiahou Dun

Have a look at this type of thing:
( LAN via main circuit)
click here"

Certainly looks affordable.

What do I do with it and how does it work?

john bunyan 20:16 05 Oct 2010

I have no personal experience of these, but hopefully someone will comment. They work by connecting the Router to one special mains plug and the signal gets sent via the mains to a wirelss plug in your room.There was a thread on this a few weeks ago - I will try to find it

john bunyan 20:29 05 Oct 2010

Read this and follow the links:

click here

Callum-1623688 22:24 05 Oct 2010

That is awesomely cool. I think it would do me nicely. My only question is if I wanted to connect two seperate PCs with this thing would I need to buy 4 of them or 3?

I.e Is it one for the main router to go straight into and one for each computer that wants internet access or is it a linked pair for each computer that wants access two on the psc and two on the router?

Nontek 22:30 05 Oct 2010

Two for initial connection, then one for each computer only.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?