Setting up Multiple Wireless Networks

itstudio 11:10 08 May 2008

One of our staff just received a new laptop with Vista Business. I have set him up with a static IP, and he connects on our wireless network with no problem.
However, when he takes his laptop home and attempts to connect to his home wireless network, he has issues. He can register onto his router - it pings no problem - but he can't connect to the internet. His missus has a laptop, same setup, and it connects no problem.
My guess is it's because he has a manually set up IP address and DNS settings. I've tried setting up the protocols with alternate options (one with a static IP, one with an automatically assigned IP), to no avail.
Any ideas on what the next step could be?
Cheers

ambra4 21:32 08 May 2008

Don’t understand why use a static IP??? just set up every thing to Auto, scan for wireless

network and connect to the difference profile SSID name and enter the correct security code

Connect SSID at home 66red87 enter Security code ZZZZZZXXXX

Connect SSID at office 435ford678 enter Security code XXXXXZZZZZ

itstudio 08:52 09 May 2008

Well, the chap that has the laptop can't be bothered to enter passwords every time he changes location.
I have convinced him that he can connect wired at the office, and then use the wireless only at home. Hopefully this works.
Thanks for your help.

irishrapter 15:01 09 May 2008

You don't have to cjhange passwords each time you change network. You just need to setup each wireless network with the ESSID and password, set for automatic and when the laptop is in range it will auto connect to what ever network is present.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?