setting up mail accounts in thunderbird win mail

joywebb 12:39 30 Apr 2009

in setting up a mail account and following all the pop3 and smtp rules work fine,butto get mail in it askes for a password.
wnt to tools/options ad set the password,
device will not accept the password-so went back and edited it - still no joy-went back and dset a newpassword still nothing. meanwhile my friend also using Thunderbird does not gat asked for a password at all- So what did I do to get rid of the passwrd nag?
Then I found another mail client - Windows Mail.
set this u and am now getting my email address pop3 and smtp shown as 'Not a Valid server'
what is his all about?

Sea Urchin 14:39 30 Apr 2009

You need to have the password set with your ISP which you would have done when you originally set up the account. Then when you configure the account in Thunderbird type in that same password and ask Thunderbird to remember it.

You cannot just set a password independently in Thunderbird - your ISP needs to know it as well.

joywebb 15:04 30 Apr 2009

there is only the one password.
for all uses

going into tools/options password was to delete and reenter the common password. not to invent new ones

Sea Urchin 16:27 30 Apr 2009

Now I am confused - you say you set up the account and all works fine - but then you cannot get mail in - so it does not seem to work fine. You then say "still no joy-went back and set a new password still nothing"

so it appears you are trying to set up a new password.

Which ISP are you using?

DieSse 21:56 30 Apr 2009

What's a "common password"?

As said above - your email account has a password that you set up with your ISP or mail service when you first set up you email account. That's the one you need.

If you're trying to get web based email (hotmail. yahoo, etc) via Thinderbird - unless it's gmail, it'll be quite difficult - and even gmail is not quite the same set up as standard POP mail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?