Setting up the internet

dark_touch 12:20 08 Feb 2006

hi this is my first post, i am doing a school project on
the system requirements for a home worker wishing to set up Internet and WWW access, including:
• hardware;
• software;
• communications requirements.

what would these include? i think i have most of the requirements but i may be missing some...
thx :)

Graham ® 12:38 08 Feb 2006

1) A computer

2) A USB ADSL modem

3) A broadband enabled telephone line.

stalion 12:43 08 Feb 2006

hello and welcome to the forum.There is a lot of information here also you need to make sure that a decent firewall and anti-virus is installed before going on to the internet.If you need further help post further click here

Smiler 12:44 08 Feb 2006

Internet browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.
Firewall and AntiVirus software.
Spyware such as Adaware and Spybot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 08 Feb 2006

home worker may also require software to set up a VPN (virtual private network) to his/her company's intronet server to access company files.

spuds 13:20 08 Feb 2006

Welcome dark_touch.

You may find something of interest> click here click here

dark_touch 13:44 08 Feb 2006

thanks for all your quick responses, i am not actully setting up the internet its just i have to write about it,
thanks for the information, i never heard of a VPN thing but im going to include it in my report as it says "home worker" so i guess thats what they want me to talk about

Graham ® 14:34 08 Feb 2006

A useful guide to VPN click here

Graham ® 14:38 08 Feb 2006

It may be useful to know that if a secure connection was needed, for example to directly interact with your bank to pay in or withdraw funds to pay wages, a dial-up account would be set up. It would not be done via the internet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?