Setting Up ICS

mcdond 13:48 07 Jan 2008

I have read different threads but none of them seem to fit my situation.

I have a main pc connected to PlusNet Broadband via Usb modem. and i have a Wan Wireless Router.

What steps do I take to configure it so ICS is setup correctly and I an share my internet connection to my 2 laptops.

When I plug a thernet cable into the WAN port of the wireless router into my pc it says limited or no connectivity. SO i cant configure the router. but when i plug it into a normal port i can!

ambra4 17:02 07 Jan 2008

“When I plug a Ethernet cable into the WAN port of the wireless router”

The Wan Port on the Router is connected to the Ethernet Port on the Modem ONLY

‘When I plug it into a normal port I can”

Which is correct Ports 1-4 is the Router Ports that you connect all Computers, Hubs, and Switches to

“I have a main pc connected to PlusNet Broadband via USB modem”

A USB Modem is for a stand alone computer to connect to the Internet via your ISP it cannot be used with a wireless router

You have two options

1 - Purchase a combine ADSL2/2+ Modem Wireless 54Mbps Firewall

Router Sample of the type required.

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway Router

click here

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

Using the above type routers you would remove your present modem and do a total new install

2 – Purchase a broadband modem with an Ethernet port

Linksys ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

click here

D-Link ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem

click here

Check this site

click here

Jim_F 23:55 07 Jan 2008

The reason you can't talk to the WAN port of your router is that this requires a comms device - AFAIK your computer could do this with a cross-over cable.

I can't be sure but would think that if you can set the modem USB connection for ICS and use a crossover cable it may work as you wish.

Per the previous post I would agree that an ADSL modem with an ethernet connection to the router or combination device is a better solution

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017