Setting up a home wireless network

shil 22:23 06 Nov 2007

Hi

Can anyone give me advice on how to set up a wireless network?

I have a desktop connected to a router by ethernet cable and a laptop wireless connected. Both use Windows XP.

ray

mgmcc 23:09 06 Nov 2007

The computers are already networked. Set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. At least one folder in each PC should be "shared".

Any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

If you then go into "My Network Places", you should see icons for both computers and expanding the folder tree on the left should show the shared folders in each PC.

shil 07:33 07 Nov 2007

mgmcc,

Thank you.

I have tried to select a folder as you suggested but was presented with a message that Windows has hit a problem and must be closed.

Also have been to My Network Places but no computer icons are visible.

mgmcc 09:13 07 Nov 2007

OK try running the "Network Setup Wizard" in Control Panel. Personally, I prefer to set up networking manually but, as you've hit this snag, see if the wizard helps.

shil 15:03 07 Nov 2007

mgmcc,

I have tried "Network Setup Wizard", no joy.

mgmcc 22:04 07 Nov 2007

Go into the Network Connections folder, right click the connection you are using to connect to the router ("Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection") and select Properties.

In each computer ensure you have both...

- Client for Microsoft Networks
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

...and that they are both ticked.

shil 06:35 08 Nov 2007

mgmcc

Both are ticked.

mgmcc 12:38 08 Nov 2007

Presumably you only have this problem with one of the computers? I don't know the answer but, if the system is corrupted, it may be necessary to reinstall Windows to get it working.

shil 16:15 08 Nov 2007

mgmcc,

Yes , the problem only applies to the desktop. Suspect you are correct on the corruption of Windows.

Thanks for your input.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?