Setting Up A Home Network

dumb_haddik 17:41 17 Mar 2006

I AM NOT EXACTLY A BEGINNER, BUT I AM NEW TO THE NETWORKING TECHNOLOGY.

HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT CONNECTING TWO READY SET UP PCs IN SEPERATE ROOMS? WIRLESSLY?

PS I AM ON A BUDGET IS £30 ENOUGH

dumb_haddik 17:56 17 Mar 2006

WHEN I GO TO COMPUTER FAIRS, I SEE THINGS LIKE USB NETWORK ADAPTERS, OR BLUE TOOTH .

DO I JUST NEED TWO OF THESE TO NETWORK, OR SOMETHING DIFFERENT

dumb_haddik 17:57 17 Mar 2006

DOES WINDOWS XP SP2 SUPPORT SOME KIND OF THING WHERE THERE IS A FOLDER SHARED OVER MANY COMPUTERS ie. SHARED DOCUMENTS, BUT CAN BE ACCESSED ON EITHER OF THE PCs.

AND IS REMOTE ACCESS AVAILABLE FOR NETWORKS OF ONLY 2 PCs.

The Kestrel 18:00 17 Mar 2006

What type of modem do you have? If it is of the USB type, you will need to buy a combined wireless modem/router, which will cost more than your £30 budget. If your PCs have wireless cards fitted, that is all you should need. If not you will also need either wireless USB adapters or PCI cards for each PC.

dumb_haddik 18:02 17 Mar 2006

NEITHER OF THE PCs I AM WISHING TO NETWORK REQUIRE INTERNET ACCESS, AND NOR DO THEY HAVE A MODEM, I AM ONLY REALLY INTERESTED IN REMOTE ACCESS AND FILE SHARING.

dumb_haddik 18:04 17 Mar 2006

PLEASE CAN YOU HELP?

I DONT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I NEED FROM YOUR DESCRIPTION, SORRY, IS IT FOR A NON INTERNET PC:

MODEM/ROUTER
USB/PCI CARDS

(FOR BOTH COMPUTERS?)

dumb_haddik 18:20 17 Mar 2006

The Kestrel 18:38 17 Mar 2006

Go this link click here and read through the beginners guide on setting up a network at home. It should give you some idea of how to achieve your aims.

Danoh 18:58 17 Mar 2006

Please refrain from using ALL UPPER CASE letters. It is the equivalent of SHOUTING and considered rude, at best, in online forums.
Thank you.

dumb_haddik 15:58 18 Mar 2006

sorry

Smegs 12:47 20 Mar 2006

click here Have a look at this 5 port Modem/Router.

We have been using one of these makes for about a year now, no problems.

Just a router, you still need a Modem to connect to the router. Same with the Hub.

A Modem/Router, you dout need a extra Modem.

Not sure what you mean by:

"NO INTERNET!

NEITHER OF THE PCs I AM WISHING TO NETWORK REQUIRE INTERNET ACCESS, AND NOR DO THEY HAVE A MODEM, I AM ONLY REALLY INTERESTED IN REMOTE ACCESS AND FILE SHARING."

You will need to have Network cards in the two other PC's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?