Setting Default Browser Problem

billypilgrim 13:14 08 Nov 2006

I have used Opera as my Default Browser for a long time, but recently switched to Firefox 2.0.
After a few days I became dissatisfied with Firefox, so went to Set Defaults to switch back to Opera, but Opera had dissapeared from the list of Browsers to choose from.
i could find no way to reset my default, including uninstalling Firefox, and uninstalling/reinstalling Opera. Atm, my default is Internet Explorer and Opera still does not show up as an option in the Set Defaults, though I can access it via shortcut and quicklaunch.
Any ideas on ways to get it back as Default Browser.

woodchip 13:21 08 Nov 2006

There should be something in the Menu or Options for setting to default

GroupFC 13:21 08 Nov 2006

Presumably from your description you are trying to do this thro' >start>all programs>Set program access and defaults?

One thing to try is setting it as the default thro' Opera itself. It is a long time since I have used Opera, but my recollction is that there was a setting within the program to set it as the default.

Other than that I'll have to leave it up to the experts!

GroupFC 13:22 08 Nov 2006

Great minds think alike, (but some people type faster than others!).

billypilgrim 13:28 08 Nov 2006

My first thought was to look in the Opera menus, but no, I cant find anything there. I hoped that when I reinstalled I would get an option of 'Do you want to set Opera as Default', but I didnt.

Even if there is something buried somewhere in Opera menu, it still woudnt explain why it has dissapeared from the Set Program Access etc, which happened when I switched to Firefox.

any more ideas?

VoG II 13:39 08 Nov 2006
  GroupFC 13:44 08 Nov 2006

I have been having a quick trawl round the web, and I think that when you set up Opera it isn't set as the default browser on installation, which maybe why you don't get this option (only guessing!).

From what I have seen, I think it should be under preferences on the advanced tab (see click here).

GroupFC 13:45 08 Nov 2006

Doh!! Not again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?