Setting up classic security for a small network

wavesailor 14:18 13 Jul 2005

Can someone please set out the steps needed to apply security to a workgroup. I have used simple file sharing in our company until now but our network now needs security. I need to allow some users admin access rights to certain folders and read only rights to others. This is how far i've got.
Un ticked simple file and print sharing
Created a user account on the host computer and set up networking password.
Created a test share folder,selected share this folder,set permissions for the folder.
Accesed the host computer over the network, selected the test folder but am denied access!
Can someone please help?

AndySD 15:04 13 Jul 2005

Was the PC you were using to access still using Simple file sharing?
Are you logged on with the same name and password on both PC's and as an Administrator?

wavesailor 17:01 13 Jul 2005

yes to both questions andy. I have read even more on this subject and am now even more confused! All I really need is to be able to put some restrictions to a few folders on my system, share maybe 2 folders to everyone (8) users, share another 2 folders to only 2 users and restrict access to the rest (most of my folders on my system. What I do need though is to be able to access all my folders on my system from another computer (my second system) which is located on the common network.

I hope that I have explained this OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?