Setting up BT hub

rdave13 17:58 09 Oct 2009

I need to set up a BT hub tomorrow, and never done so before, just asking for some guidelines. Any pitfalls or something to look out for? I'm sure that the person is connected via Voyager 200 at the moment. Am I right in assuming I'll have to uninstall the Voyager's drivers if it has any?
Thanks for any replies.

Technotiger 18:04 09 Oct 2009

Don't worry, it is really simple, you don't even need to bother with the BT CD - just connect it up correctly, again very easy and it will just work!

Technotiger 18:05 09 Oct 2009

Sorry I meant to add - no need to uninstall those drivers.

rdave13 18:11 09 Oct 2009

Hello Technotiger. Have done a bit of homework on the hub and seems to be an ordinary router but 'tied' to BT. As for uninstalling drivers for the Voyager I asked because the older 105 was a bit 'finniky' to uninstall the drivers owing to having to log on to connect. Thanks for your reply and hope you're well.

Technotiger 18:18 09 Oct 2009

I am assuming you are referring to the latest Version 2 Hub, the black/curved model. Also assuming that the user's ISP is BT.

If not with BT, the HomeHub is not usable without a whole lot of fiddling about, not worth the effort.

rdave13 18:24 09 Oct 2009

Yes, she's a BT customer 'upgrading' from the Voyager 200; click here

I also assume it's the latest hub. Just wondering, as I believe she has to log on to the internet using this Voyager, that I'd be better off uninstalling drivers prior to setting up the Hub. Thanks for your replies.

Diemmess 18:25 09 Oct 2009

Echo Technotiger.

After many battles with various routers for self and family, it was a delight to install the BT hub part of a change of ISP to BT.

I plugged it in and followed the prompts and that was it for me.

Again as Technotiger, it might be "difficult" if this was not supplied as part of a new BT contract.

Technotiger 18:26 09 Oct 2009

Just re-read your last note - I am OK at the moment thanks, up and down a bit, but still breathing :-)

Technotiger 18:28 09 Oct 2009

In that case, it will be a doddle, and she will undoubtably notice an improvement in speed and stability!

rdave13 18:35 09 Oct 2009

Thanks Techno and Diemmess. Will post back tomorrow with results. I then will have to set-up a new (birthday gift) Vista laptop (Acer) to connect wirelessly. Always found it a doddle with Vista. Just hope fate isn't looking in at this post. :(

wjrt 19:30 09 Oct 2009

"htpp://bthomehub.home/" without the marks to set up password and security

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?