Setting up broad band away from 'Base'

jack 08:11 23 Apr 2009

Seeclick here
It is likely that as the owner of the machine in trouble is going away for a week I will be able to take the poorly machine home and set it up on my KVA switch.
I suspect that the 'reload business' has damaged the registry and that is the cause of the problems not the routers as such.
So If I do get the machine - reformat, load all his stuff back up, can I set HIS broadband service up from by home location[Same exchange different number]?

(~oo~) 08:34 23 Apr 2009

No. BB has to handshake with the server. It will reject it with a different telephone number.

mgmcc 08:41 23 Apr 2009

If you both connect to the internet with *ROUTERS*, his ADSL settings to get online will be configured within his ROUTER and not in his PC. It is immaterial which router you connect to with an ethernet cable, although to connect "wirelessly" to his router, it would be necessary to go through the procedure to "Connect" and enter any WEP/WPA key when prompted.

jack 09:17 23 Apr 2009

I bring his router home with me - still no go?

(~oo~) 09:31 23 Apr 2009

If it connects by modem. No go.

If it is a wired router and it's connection is by RJ45 you don't need to set it up. Just plug in the ethenet cable and go.

If it is a wireless connection ( router), you could connect to the router and input the wep/wpa codes and set it up as far as that but you can NOT conect to his ISP because of the different phone line.

DieSse 12:41 23 Apr 2009

If your sever uses an Ethernet LAN connection to a DHCP router, then it will work automatically on any system you connect to it.

I have many systems through my hands at my office, for troubleshooting, and 9x out of 10 then connect and work without issue.

I also take my system to other places, and it connects and works without issue.

Yes - it's true it'll connect to your ISP, of course - but that should make no difference - a connection to the net is a connection to the net.

If you have a router or switch, you can almost certainly connect several systems simultaneously.

DieSse 17:41 23 Apr 2009

sever - should read system - apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?