Setting up a Blog

heronsbridgeA8 16:18 03 Apr 2007

We are planning a round the world trip in aide of education for disabled children and would like to set up a blog to tell people about our trip and the schools we visit. What are the fundamentals of a blog; eg are all blogs companies the same? do they charge? what do i need to consider when choosing the blog company?

All help welcome.

Ade_1 16:56 03 Apr 2007

I would suggest using WordPress click here . They have a large selection of themes to choose from. If you are looking to edit the themes there will be small fees involved. I am not entirely sure as to how much this will cost as I do not use WordPress to host my blog, I host my WordPress blog myself.
That is another route you could take, buy a domain and web hosting and setup a blog on the web hosting.

What I would suggest is go to WordPress.com and setup an account and play around with it and see what you think about it. There are other blogging platforms such as MoveableType and TypePad however these cost although another free alternative is Blogger click here . I have never had experience with Blogger so I can't comment on that but I would strongly recommend WordPress.

If there is anything else you would like to know about WordPress just let me know and I will try and help as much as I can.
By the way, it seems like your trip is for a great cause. Good luck with it :-).

barryoneoff.co.uk 00:10 04 Apr 2007

since being updated by Google. I use it myself because it seemed to be more straightforward than Wordpress, but both re excellent.

Kate B 10:03 05 Apr 2007

Wordpress is a bit fiddly to get up and running if you're planning on hosting it yourself.

Ade_1 16:02 05 Apr 2007

That is true Kate although if heronsbridgeA8 got Fantastico with his hosting it would be made much simpler. If he decides to use WordPress I would suggest getting hosting with Fantastico so that it is a simple setup for him.
But I have to agree, it is very fiddly when setting up manually.

Compassion 16:34 11 Apr 2007

If you're interested in using wordpress, you could try the version that wordpress hosts (click here). You don't get as many configuration options, but that does make it simpler to set up and maintain. the default web address would be something like: click here, but if you have (or want to buy) your own web address, you can use that instead. A good website for hints and tips is a blog called Lorelle on Wordpress (click here)

If you decide you want to host your blog on your own site, the community is very helpful, and it gives you more freedom in terms of design and adding various plugins.

mco 15:22 12 Apr 2007

I set up a wordpress blog the other day, myself, on my own hosting space, so if you go down that route I might be able to offer some advice. However, I also agree with barryone off about Blogger being good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?