Setting up basic 2 computer wireless network

VNAM75 15:44 24 Apr 2009

I want my pc (Xp pro) and laptop (vista basic) to be connected wirelessly. At the moment they are both sharing a cable internet connection and the setup is:

Cable modem ENET port connected to WAN port on a Buffalo router

Buffalo router no. 1 port connected to pc's ethernet/network card port.

I went through the xp wirelss network wizard on the pc and it prompted me to plug in a usb key to load some files, then install them on the laptop. The laptop said the network was setup properly and added to the network group. But I'm not sure what to do from here.

I want to start again and remove the network I created if possible. I want the pc to be able to view files on laptop and vice versa (and share an internet connection which it does already) The permission for which folders I want to share I can do afterwards - just a case of right clicking the folder, and enable share? Plus I know how to map network drives but need to set up the network first.

Should I be using the wireless network wizard, the network wizard or something else?

mgmcc 16:42 25 Apr 2009

I have never run any wizard to set up networking - I actually think some of the options are confusing and, if you don't know what you're doing, it is too easy to make an incorrect selection. Also, you *DON'T* need to use a USB key or anything else to transfer settings between computers.

In Vista's "Network and Sharing Center", make sure you've switched "On":

- Network Discovery
- File Sharing
- Public Folder Sharing
- Printer Sharing (if sharing a printer connected to the Vista PC)

Then, ensure that both computers are in the same Workgroup, set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option (XP) or Share option (Vista). Ensure any firewall software is configured to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

That basically should be it, although it might help if you install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder from Microsoft's website in the XP PC click here

VNAM75 20:21 25 Apr 2009

Thanks mgmcc, that is useful. I have managed to get the vista laptop to access a drive in the XP pc by mapping a network drive, but not the other way round - I can't access any files on the laptop from the pc.

Its different in vista, it says you need to have a user account and password to access shared files (but not in xp). If I try to map a network drive in the xp pc, I can see the workgroup but clicking on gives "you do not have access rights to this server" What do I need to do to access the laptop files from my pc?

VNAM75 20:54 25 Apr 2009

I've managed to sort it. On the laptop (vista) I created a password in my user account. Previously I had it as Administrator username and no password which it would not accept for network file sharing.

I want to create a network game (age of empires 1), would there be any thing additional I need to do or will it de detected automatically if both machines have the game (and disk) loaded?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?