Setting up 3Com USB adapter with 3Com router

Miss Happy 16:44 24 Jul 2006

I have setup my laptop, encryption and all to work wirelessly my broadband connection with a 3com Office Connect ADSL wireless firewall router. Everything is working fine thanks to the help and advise of this forum.

So thats the laptop sorted.

The 3Com router came with a USB 54mbps 11g compact adapter which I was intending (hoping...) to use to wirlessly connect my other PC via the router to my broadband connection and share it between laptop and pc.

My first problem is I have not setup any broadband connection on the other pc yet(running on XP sp2), I dont know if this is neccessary if the wireless network is set up, sorry for being so dim. I have only been on b/b a short time and that has only been set up on laptop (cables etc would not reach to pc so have gone for network/router instead to cut down cost because I also need to go wireless).

I am with ntlfreedom b/b 2mb.

I have searched google and pcadvisor to find some help but not found what I needed. Thanks

woodchip 17:20 24 Jul 2006

DO NOT PLUG THE USB in. Load the software of the CD first or you may have problems. Then the SSID that you put in to Router. If your Profile and SSID are the same mine are, load them in Configuration\General then click apply. As this page.
[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Next click on Encryption and set as [URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Then click Apply

My Advanced Page looks like this [URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

Don't try to put channel in on Page one the USB will find that.

That should all work with your SSID etc Don't forget you have to load Pre-Shared key in Page two

woodchip 17:22 24 Jul 2006

To get at the above double click on the 3Com icon in Sys tray

woodchip 17:25 24 Jul 2006

Once you have setup the router with a Ethernet cable you can go wireless with all comps using the 3Com dongles

Miss Happy 17:41 24 Jul 2006

Woodchip to the rescue again!

I have loaded USB software CD onto the 2nd PC but is the 2nd pc meant to be hardwired to the router, woodchip - mine wont reach? Does the PC then have to be rebooted after entering settings for 3Com via icon? Also, is the router if not connected to 2nd PC, have to be hardwired or wirelessly up & running to original laptop, (sorry!)? You poor chap, you must be bald by now!

I think most people, myself included, would pay to view your links, you are far better than any 3Com tech help. Though I do have to be guided from a>z as you can see by the above ?'s!

Thanks

woodchip 18:53 24 Jul 2006

No just do as above to setup the USB

woodchip 18:56 24 Jul 2006

As above once you have one computer that as setup the Router, You can setup all Wireless as above using ether PCMCIA laptop Wi-Fi or USB dongles

woodchip 19:10 24 Jul 2006

Just sent E-Mail

Miss Happy 16:05 25 Sep 2006

Once I had put the speedtouch and broadband connection onto PC and then re-installed the 3com USB software and connected dongle, everything went brilliantly. This time I kept the laptop off so no problems with either of wireless connections afterwards!

Thanks to all of you kind helpers, you've been great & I couldnt have done it without you : )

woodchip 19:58 27 Sep 2006

That was a Long time coming, But glad to see every thing turned out OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?