Setting up a 2 pc network

jules1967 21:16 20 Aug 2007

I am trying to connect 2 PC's both using XP home with a cat 5 RJ45 ethernet patch cable going into each NIC but both are saying there is a cable unplugged. What am I doing wrong? I'm new to networking. Also is it possible for me to connect to the internet on the 2nd PC via the main PC which is connected to a wireless router?

Daveboy 21:27 20 Aug 2007

You need a "crossover" cable to directly connect to Nic's, but your better off going wireless as you already have the device to deal with this, sharing the internet is straightforward enough.

jules1967 22:52 20 Aug 2007

Thanks for the advice, I will get a crossover cable. The reason I want to connect to the internet through the main PC which has the wireless adapter is because the router is a pre n belkin and the pre n or n type adapters are too expensive to get for the other PC. Both PC's are upstairs away from the router itself so I cannot even plug the other PC into the router with an ethernet cable. Is it possible to connect to the internet through the main PC via a crossover cable?

brundle 22:55 20 Aug 2007

If you set up Internet Connection Sharing on the main PC, yes. click here

Ashrich 23:30 20 Aug 2007

You can always use an ordinary wireless adapter , you don't have to use N or Pre N adapters , the router will be backwards compatible with 802.11b and 802.11g

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017