Set up your computer for home networking

Daiol 14:40 17 Feb 2009

Hi all.just thinking about setting up a networking system.I have a main pc upstairs connected to the internet via a ethernet cable into a belkin router 'Windows xp pro'.Now my good lady has a laptop 'windows xp pro'we already have it working on the wireless setup internet all okay.Now i was thinking about settting up the file sharing section i did it a long time ago but my mind has gone a blank,been through the wizard on the main pc and on the end it tells me to have a floppy disc in drive A. Well i dont have a floppy drive on the laptop,can someone please enlighten me please on this setup and if i do decide not to carry on how will i be able to disable the file/printer sharing setup?.Thanks all hope you can understand my question.daiol.

recap 15:14 17 Feb 2009

click here this should answer all your qeustions Daiol?

Daiol 19:02 17 Feb 2009

Thanks

Daiol 19:08 17 Feb 2009

Sorry. i said thanks but hasn't resolved my question.

Technotiger 19:16 17 Feb 2009
  mgmcc 19:18 17 Feb 2009

In basic terms, all you need to do is "share" those folders that you want to have available over the network, by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option. Similarly, share any printers. Then ensure that any firewall software is configured to allow access to the networked computers.

Personally, I've never yet used the wizard to set up networking (I consider some of its options to be extremely confusing) and you don't need a floppy disk or USB drive to transfer settings from one computer to another.

Terry Brown 21:31 17 Feb 2009

If you want to do it the 'Microsoft way'

Put in a clean floppy or insert a USB stick, open control panel and select Networking Connections, Select home networking, follow the prompts, copying the files to the Floppyor USB as required.

When finished take the file, put it in the other machines, and run it.

Following any prompts.
Job Done
Terry

Strawballs 22:16 17 Feb 2009

Make sure everything is switched on and run the network wizard in control panel (not wireless wizard) on both machines and as are both XP Pro they will both default to workgroup so no changing required there.

Bazz2000 00:57 18 Feb 2009

before you go into a series of complicated settings this should do the job.
on both computers, start, control panel, system, computer name, and change the workgroup from the default name to something else, must be the same on every pc.
Then right click the folder you wish to share and go to sharing and security, click share this folder on the network, it will ask if you want to run the wizard, i wouldnt bother.

Daiol 09:05 18 Feb 2009

Thankyou all for the info,Just to update matters.If i was to right click on a specific folder that i wanted to share ' i would select the security & share this folder and also do the same to my default printer that is on my main pc'.Now when i get to my laptop downstairs what do i have to do there to access the folder and printer i selected on my main pc??.Thankyou.

mgmcc 13:26 18 Feb 2009

If you open "My Network Places" in your Laptop downstairs, there should be an icon for the *REMOTE* PC. Double clicking it will show its "network shares", i.e. the shared folders and printer.

Have a look at click here for details of setting up a "Network Printer".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?