Set up wireless internet access

Guady 18:21 13 Sep 2009

I currently have a desktop PC with broadband connection via ConectaBox Router connected by ethernet. I am looking to buy a new laptop to use in addition to the desktop. I want to be able to use the laptop to access the internet via a wireless connection away from the room where the PC and router are situated. What I want to find out is - does it sound as if this would be possible. And, if it is, how would I go about achieving it. I don't think my current PC has wifi capability and I'm not bothered about adding it, but would I be able to use the desktop via wire and the laptop via wireless? As you can tell from the questions, I'm not up to speed re wireless and would appreciate some advice. At present I really don't know where to start!

tullie 19:46 13 Sep 2009

Connect the laptop wired first so that it finds your network,and enter the required serial numbers.When its connected remove the ethernet cable,turn on the laptop wireless,and thats it.Hover the mouse over the connection icon in the task bar,right click,click connect to a network,select yours.

ambra4 01:02 14 Sep 2009

The Telefonica Conectabox 1000b is just an ASDL modem you need to get and connect a
Wireless Router, which will allow you wireless Internet access, before you can connect any
wireless device

D-Link Wireless G Cable /DSL Router with 4 port switch

click here

D-Link Wireless G Router DIR-300 at ebuyer at a lower price

click here

Once you have a wireless router you have to set it up, to allow you hard wire and wireless Internet access

How to Connect the Wireless Router to the Conectabox

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the wireless router's WAN Port and the Conectabox Ethernet Port.

Connect a second Ethernet Cable between the PC' Lan card port and Port 1 of the wireless
Router's LAN Ports

The D-Link Wireless G Cable /DSL Router with 4 port switch includes D-Link’s Click’n Connect software (DCC).

This wizard allows anybody without any prior technical knowledge to install the router and connect to the Internet within minutes.

Just by running the product CD, you are taken through establishing physical connections
(power and cabling), configuring wireless network settings and security and then connecting to your ISP.

With WiFi Protected Setup™ (WPS), you do not have to memories complicated passwords and key them in several times.

The “PIN method” is also supported. WPS is a standard from the WiFi Alliance so any devices displaying the logo will work with each other, regardless of the brand.

Download the User Manual and take a read it will help you to understand how the wireless router work and how to set it up

D-Link DIR-300 Wireless G Cable /DSL Router Manual

click here

Guady 17:47 14 Sep 2009

Thanks ambra4 - Would this mean that I'd still be receiving the connection via the Connectabox and then "sending it on" wirelessly to the wireless router which in turn will send it to the Laptop?
Sorry to sound a bit clueless, but this is all totally new to me. Also, would this type of set up allow both the desktop and the laptop to use the internet at the same time? The other thing I wondered was: before doing this is it necessary to ask your ISP to "enable" wireless?

ambra4 20:42 14 Sep 2009

“Would this mean that I'd still be receiving the connection via the Connectabox and then "sending it on" wirelessly to the wireless router”

Yes & No

The Connectabox is connected to the phone line and the Ethernet port on the Connectabox is hard wire to the WAN/Internet port on the Wireless Router using an
RJ45 Ethernet Cable

From the wireless router the signal is send to the wireless card on the laptop or desktop allowing local or Internet access

The wireless signal can be disable if not being used and you will still have Internet access via the hard wire connection

“Also, would this type of set up allow both the desktop and the laptop to use the Internet at the same time?”

Yes, you can connect 64 hard wire plus 32 Users via the Wireless System with all having Internet Access Plus Access to each other if required

“I wondered was: before doing this is it necessary to ask your ISP to "enable" wireless?”

No there is no need to ask you ISP to “Enable Wireless” as the wireless is not on there system but confine to your home network so nothing to do with your ISP

Wireless is just a way to remove the wires between the computers and the router allow you to move around easily with a laptop

“How Do WiFi Wireless Networks Work?” take a read

click here

Guady 09:28 15 Sep 2009

Thanks for all your help - It definitely seems as if I can do what I'm hoping to. Now I need to read everything through a few times to try to get my head round it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?