session manager problem

bigboab y 20:26 06 Sep 2010

My sons Toshiba satellite M70 laptop starts but then shows a BSOD saying "session manager initialization" wont start. When I run the original XP cd it gets so far but then stops at the "starting windows screen" and will go no further..
Is this a corrupt registry problem.? Any geniusses out there know what the fix is.? All suggestions greatfully received

bigboab y 20:38 06 Sep 2010

Further info it shows a fatal system error C000021a

MAJ 20:42 06 Sep 2010

How to troubleshoot the error. click here

bigboab y 12:37 08 Sep 2010

No further forward on this... I keep seeing "make a recovery disc" but this is to a floppy disc...this laptop does not have a FDD... Is there a way to make a recovery CD or is there one available to buy?

Nontek 12:44 08 Sep 2010
  bigboab y 12:52 08 Sep 2010

Thanks for that Nontek.I'll think about it..I went on Ebay and there are squillions of CD's claiming to recover any operating system. Anyone tried one of these?

bigboab y 15:24 10 Sep 2010

I went to plan "b"... I installed another SATA 80GB hard drive which I bought on Ebay some time ago (sold to me as good) Now when I start up I get a message saying BOOTMGR IS MISSING.I put in the XP PRO CD and it gets as far as the blue screen which says "starting windows" then just sits there. I can hear the cd winding down to a stop.Could it be this HD has already got VISTA on it as I believe "Bootmgr is missing" is a VISTA message . Doing my head in this.

birdface 15:30 10 Sep 2010

Had a look on E-bay this morning and was looking at the exact same things as yourself.
nearly all had good seller statistics.
I think £3 odds was the dearest well worth a try I would think.
Also one there for fixing passwords that have been forgotten.
very seldom go into E-bay but glad that i did just to see what was on offer.

birdface 15:39 10 Sep 2010

Remember you would need to get one for a laptop and not a desktop.
I am sure I read that while I was browsing on there.

bigboab y 15:41 10 Sep 2010

OOOO never thought of that BUTEMAN... I'll check it out... also considering buying a pre - FORMATTED hard drive as I dont know the history of the one I'm using. Cheers again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?