services.exe' terminated unexpectedly

Tiscali 09:59 17 Apr 2006

When I connect to the internet ZoneAlarm asks do you want to allow services & controller app to access the internet. If I tick no I can connect without any problems. If I tick yes it says services and controller app has encountered a problem.

c:\windows\system32\services.exe' terminated unexpectedly with status code 1073741819. The message says that the computer will shut down in 60 seconds, but it just freezes. The computer will not restart or shutdown so I have to press reset. I am running XP Home SP2.

I have searched MS and can’t find a fix for this. The only mentions on Google relate to viruses and worms, but I have scanned my computer with several anti-virus and spyware programs and it is clean. Has anyone come across this problem and know of a fix?

This has only happened since last Friday when I did get an infected file download but AVG Free dealt with that. I can’t do a system restore because one of the fixes on Google required that System Restore was turned off, and that caused previous restore points to disappear.

User-312386 10:11 17 Apr 2006

have you been to windows update?

If not click here

Tiscali 10:27 17 Apr 2006

Yes, all critical updates have been installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?