Services in Windows XP

LANDCRUISER 14:16 24 Jan 2005

Hi there, please could you tell me if i adjusted every services to run automaticly would i be comprimising my pc, i know that it would slow the pc down a shade but if it made the pc work better i think i could live with that thanks in advance.

johnnyrocker 14:25 24 Jan 2005

i cant see a benefit in doing that, in my opinion it would lead to conflict probs amongst other things.

johnny.

LANDCRUISER 14:33 24 Jan 2005

Thanks jonneyrocker, can you expand your reasoning & what conflix i might get,as it part of microsoft program to let you adjust things as you want i cannot see why you cannot set all to automatic.

Jackcoms 14:41 24 Jan 2005

Does this help? click here

LANDCRUISER 15:21 24 Jan 2005

Ta Jackcoms, very usefull but i cannot see if by enabling all the services will it compromise my pc it more to do with what you can do without.

feb 15:24 24 Jan 2005

Hi LANDCRUISER

When you say to make the PC run better, What sort of problems are you having?

LANDCRUISER 15:29 24 Jan 2005

Hi feb,from time to tme you get little problems accuring,i just wondered if by having all services running automaticly would i have fewer problems.

mattyc_92 15:32 24 Jan 2005

If anything there would be more problems....

Spyware can be installed more easier...

Loads of "pop-ups" from "Messenger"...

Easier for people to "hack" your system..

The list seems to go on!!!

feb 15:38 24 Jan 2005

Follow Jackcoms link and set services to the recomendations and see how it goes from there, you can always reset if no better!

LANDCRUISER 15:41 24 Jan 2005

Hi mattyc_92,thanks for your input,if this is the case why do microsoft load this on there program,as it is i have messenger disabled,& i have plenty of spyware programs loaded, why does it make it easer for people to hack into pc.

mattyc_92 15:47 24 Jan 2005

Through the "messenger pop-ups".... MOst of the problems, that I know of, is some sort of a result of the pop-ups!!!....

Microsoft puts this on, for people to "interact" with everyone else (normally for business or security alerts)... But people use it for advertising illegal programs/activities and some "trick" you so you install something that you think helps your system, but that is the program that is causing the problem... (if you get what I mean)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?