Service pack 2 XP home

R.C.M. 19:40 17 Feb 2006

My computer keeps giving me a message that I should upgrade from service pack 1 to service pack two - however I have tried to upgrade and each time the computer crashes and I have to reinstall all my programs.

Do I really need to upgrade, if so does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice

kinger 19:55 17 Feb 2006

Are you downloading the service pack or do you have it on a CD ROM?

R.C.M. 20:05 17 Feb 2006

Hi kinger - I keep getting the message from Microsoft upgrade - I don't have a C.D.

Sorry if this message is not too clear, but thanks

kinger 20:17 17 Feb 2006

This means that you will either need to download it or obtain it on a CD.

Have you downloaded it yet?

R.C.M. 20:26 17 Feb 2006

Yes I have tried to download two or three times and each time the computer crashed before it fully loaded. I don't generally have problems with my computer only when I try to install SP2

iscanut 20:46 17 Feb 2006

I can let you have a copy on CD ( Jan 06 version ). If you would like a copy, send me an email with your name, address, etc..and i will get a copy off to you next week.

R.C.M. 20:56 17 Feb 2006

Thanks for the offer Nuts, I do not want to sound ungrateful, but I'm near a P.C.World and I could get [I think/hope]a SP2 C.D. there

Thanks for the offer

Jackcoms 10:55 18 Feb 2006

I found that the secret to successfully installing SP2 (about 18 months ago) was to do some pretty thorough PC housekeeping beforehand.

Use click here to clean all the crap from your PC. Use click here to tidy up the registry.

Disable System Restore and run full AV and anti-malware scans. Re-enable System Restore. Defrag and then try SP2 again.

ade.h 18:59 18 Feb 2006

It's not available to purchase from a store. You must either 1) download it through the Windows Update site or 2) use a cover disc CD or 3) phone Microsft UK and ask for a CD issue.

I cannot guarantee that the Microsoft CD is still available, and you may have to pay a small fee.

I suggest you take Nuts up on his kind offer, not to mention following Jackcoms' advice.

R.C.M. 19:10 18 Feb 2006

Thanks ade.h

I appreciate your advice, I will try your suggestions and Nuts and Jackson's advice.

As a new comer I need all the help I can get - but one question, do I need SP2?

It seems I have had a lot of problems trying to update my computer to SP2 when I have little to no problems with XP home edition SP1??

Thanks for everyones help

Awe the best

Jackcoms 19:20 18 Feb 2006

"do I need SP2?"

Absolutely. You shouldn't even be asking the question. It introduces, inter alia, many useful security enhancements to XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?