Service pack 2 query

DJ-Garry 10:12 29 Oct 2006

Hi guys.
I've just rebuilt an re-installed windows XP on my parent's low spec pc. The xp disk has sp1 already on it so presume that gets loaded as you do the install. I then put all their programs back on the machine and it's all fine and working lovely again. I've just realised that a havn't run the service pack 2 disk. It has AVG, Zonealarm, Ad-aware and seems ok without it. They don't go on the internet very much at all and only have a dial-up connection to the web so in the past haven't had automatic updates swithced on. It was when i suggested to them that they should spend the dial-up time getting the updates once in a while that the problems started. Halfway through an update, the pc crashed and would not reboot, whatever i tried, so hence the re-install of windows. The main point of this thread is:
How do i create a restore point so that if things go wrong when putting sp2 from cd back on, or should i leave best alone as it's all working so well?
Cheers, Garry.

johnnyrocker 10:19 29 Oct 2006

start/prog/accessories/system tools/ system restore.

johnny.

DJ-Garry 10:22 29 Oct 2006

Easy when you know how, thanks johnnyrocker.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to whether I should install sp2 or not though?

G.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:22 29 Oct 2006

Only once going on the net is often enough to download something nasty.

So my advice is to Install ALL the security patches for Windows, of which there is alot in SP2.

How do i create a restore point so that if things go wrong when putting sp2 from cd back on click here

As your parents are on dial up I suggest you burn the up dates to a CD you can download the updates from Autopatcher click here

Install SP2 then run the October 2006 patch click here

DJ-Garry 10:25 29 Oct 2006

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\. I'll give it a go then. Downloading the updates sound like a better idea. Could I do that from my pc (BB 4meg) and then put them on their machine?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:28 29 Oct 2006

Yes that's the best Idea, download (save to disc) on yours, burn to CD then take the CD to your parents to install.

DJ-Garry 16:22 29 Oct 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\. If I down load the updates and burn them to cd on my pc, then install them on my parents pc, do they need their internet connection running to validate the updates or is it done totally from the cd with no external help/linkup etc? G.

Strawballs 16:27 29 Oct 2006

You won't need to validate updates all that you will need will be in the download that you burn to CD

DJ-Garry 16:52 29 Oct 2006

Right, gone to auto patcher and it seems i have the option of full or update english versions. Which would i need? (I've done the sp2 install from cd already now with no problems) G.

DJ-Garry 22:36 29 Oct 2006

bump!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?