service pack 2 problems

Shadwellal 22:58 26 Dec 2005

I have a Fujitsu Siemens laptop and an HP Pavilion desktop PC, both with Athlon 64 processors, both running XP Home. I have been on to both manufacturers websites, downloaded all appropriate updates, defragmented both disks, run Antivirus scans (Norton), and removed spyware with both AdAware and SpyBot. When I try to install service pack 2 (both from last years cover disc, and I have also tried using the Windows Update facility) the proceess goes right through, says "your computer has been successfully updated", but then Windows won't start. The same on both machines. I can start in safe mode and use Add/remove programs to uninstall SP2.

Two questions please:

1) Any ideas what may be causing this?

2) Since I keep my Norton antivirus up to date, and use a router with a hardware firewall, do I really need SP2, ?

GaT7 23:11 26 Dec 2005

Have you shut down NAV & other unnecessary background processes prior to installing SP2?

The answer to your 2nd Q, is yes. MS advises to first check at your PC manufacturers' websites - "As one of the steps to ensuring you have all of the support information you need to install SP2, we recommend visiting your PC manufacturer's Web site first and search for any information about SP2 that might apply to your computer" - from click here. Other relevant SP2 links: click here, click here & click here. G

Shadwellal 01:05 27 Dec 2005

Actually I think I may have omitted to disable NAV. I will try again in a day or so and report back.

Shadwellal 10:06 27 Dec 2005

Tried again with NAV disabled - still no joy.
Anyther suggestions please?

GaT7 14:26 27 Dec 2005

I can think of 2 more options (unless someone knows better):

1. Get a newer copy of WinXP Home which contains SP2. This will cost around £60-70, being the cost of the OEM version click here.

Do a fresh install on both systems after backing up your data, making sure to enter each product key as applicable (first use this click here to find the present product keys, if you don't know them already, & write them down).

2. OR, integrate SP2 into your present WinXP version by creating a bootable 'slipstreamed' installation disk. Guides to creating this click here / click here / click here. This is at the cost a CDr.

Do a fresh Windows install with this slipstreamed disk on both machines after backing up your data, & again making sure to enter the respective product keys at the appropriate time. G

craig42 15:03 27 Dec 2005

Shadwellal

You can download SP2 from this address

click here

craig42 15:06 27 Dec 2005

Shadwellal

sorry should be
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?