Server not found problem

aedoni 21:11 27 Apr 2006

Just recently I've had a problem with my internet connection. When surfing I suddenly get the 'Sever Not Found' message and am unable to connect to any new sites for approx ten minutes. I can go 'back' and view what I have just seen but any attempt to go to a new site just brings up the error message. Then the connection suddenly starts working again.

The broadband connection is fine. I've checked the security and connection settings. I don't have a firewall. I'm using Windows 2000 with AVG and Norton.

I really don't know how to fix this - can anybody out there please help?

remind 21:15 27 Apr 2006

What ISP? ADSL broadband? Using USB or ethernet connection? If you have antivirus software and don't use a firewall, what Norton application are you using? If you're not using a firewall, do you have a router?

remind 21:20 27 Apr 2006

Alternatively; Norton software firewall, no hardware firewall?

aedoni 21:26 27 Apr 2006

I'm using Tiscali Broadband via a modem connected to a USB port. Am using Norton Systemworks 2005 and don't have a router. Everything's been working fine up until the past month or so...

remind 21:33 27 Apr 2006

Rather odd. You really ought to get yourself a firewall if Systemworks doesn't include one. ZoneAlarm or Kerio recommended. If you install Kerio and select Simple mode, it will only monitor incoming traffic - select Advanced and put up with the popups for a day or two for incoming and outgoing monitoring.
click here

The next time the connection drops, go to start menu /Run, type cmd, at the dos prompt type

ping click here

If you lose all packets your net connection has gone and it could be a problem with your ISP or phone line.

remind 21:34 27 Apr 2006

ping www. bbc. co. uk

without the spaces - the forum automatically converts URLs in to `click here`

remind 21:35 27 Apr 2006

Any flashing lights on your modem when the internet is down?

aedoni 21:41 27 Apr 2006

Thanks for all these suggestions. I'll see what happens next time it goes down - won't be too long...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017