"server cannot be converted into an IP address"?

palinka 09:09 18 Nov 2005

Part way through downloading updates for AVG I got a message something like "server cannot be converted to an IP address". Only option seemed to be OK, but connection was still running (Dial-up; Tiscali; OS is XP)so returned to start of process of updating and it continuued from where it had stopped. This happened 3 times during the download. Heard from a friend also on Tiscali dial-up (OS Win98) that she had had same message, but even before the download began. Can someone explain what it means, please.

Forum Editor 09:17 18 Nov 2005

that your browser thinks it can't find the site you are connecting to, and the most common cause of the problem is a firewall. Some firewalls play up with AVG downloads, and the first thing you should try is to disable the firewall.

Another common cause is people trying to run two anti-virus programs on the same computer - something you should never do.

If the firewall solution doesn't work, come back for more advice.

palinka 09:46 18 Nov 2005

Thasnks, FE

The only Firewall on the one I was working on was WinXP's. No firewall at all on the computer on which my friend had same problem.

palinka 09:48 18 Nov 2005

and on each there is only one antivirus - AVG

palinka 11:21 18 Nov 2005

In the case of my friend, who gets this message immediately so can't connect to AVG to get updates, I'm going to suggesdta complete re-install of AVG. is that likely to help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone