serious start up problem

sgetty 13:26 16 Sep 2006

each time i turn on my pc it goes through the routine with the blue dotted line under where it says windows xp. thats sa far as it gets. it restarts does it again. over and over. the only way i can get it going is to start up in safe mode and do a system restore. this works and i can use my pc. until i turn it back on i have to go through the whole routine again. any advice would be great as i dont have much hair left as it is and i`m willing to pull it all out if i cant sort this thing out.. thankyou

ArrGee 13:28 16 Sep 2006

Have you run anti-virus and spyware checks in safe-mode?

sgetty 13:30 16 Sep 2006

no, should i. i am a novice at this forgive me please

woodchip 13:36 16 Sep 2006

two things to try. Check Bios is keeping its time and settings, Next put XP cd in comp and from run type SFC /SCANNOW to check for windows corrupt files, and hears number three. double click on My Computer icon right click C:\ drive\ Tools then tick box to fix problems under Check disc Run the program

ArrGee 13:38 16 Sep 2006

No problem in being a novice, we've all been there at some stage. Come back once you have run the checks. If you are in need of an anti-virus application, I would suggest Avast
click here
Others on the forum also recommend AVG
click here
It's your choice, but only use one.

In terms of spyware removal, try these two first
Spybot click here
AdAware click here

Let us know how it goes.

sgetty 13:41 16 Sep 2006

i`ll do it now. i am using avast by the way

sgetty 17:31 16 Sep 2006

i have done that. no viruses and spyware deleted but still no change with the start up. i had to do a system restore to get back on here

VoG II 17:34 16 Sep 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?