serious long start up time

Chrispbug 19:37 26 Feb 2007

Over the last couple of days my pc has taken about 3 - 4 hours to boot up. When it eventually works, I noticed the clock was wrong. I decided to change the internal battery and hoped that sorted out the problem.
It hasn't made any difference to the start up time at all.
I've been into the bios/cmos and reloaded the default settings and, again that's not helped. I changed the boot sequence to start off my c drive and that's where I am now. No difference.
Any help ??

ICF 19:43 26 Feb 2007

What operating system are you using XP,ME,98?

RobCharles1981 19:43 26 Feb 2007

What Antivirus and Firewall and Spyware Protection have you got on board??

woodchip 19:47 26 Feb 2007

Have you looked at Event Viewer. Plus you could go to Run and type msconfig go to startup tab look at how many programs that start at boot up, You can reduce these by taking out the tick. You can re-enable at any time. Do not stop AV or Firewall running.

But my Guess is Your Anti-Virus is checking all your files every time the computer starts up. You need to check this and stop it doing it, Set it to Manual Check

skidzy 19:50 26 Feb 2007

If xp:

Start/run and type MSCONFIG and select startup,now untick everything except your Antivirus and Firewall and if you have a realtime antispyware app running ..leave this ticked also and reboot.
Hopefully this may be a startup program causing the problem.

If not,possibly psu/cpu/or even harddrive problems.

skidzy 19:50 26 Feb 2007

Sorry Woodchip i was a bit slow off the mark.

woodchip 19:51 26 Feb 2007

No Probs

woodchip 19:56 26 Feb 2007

One way to check if the AV is kicking in is watch the Hard Drive light for continues activity

Chrispbug 17:51 27 Feb 2007

I'm running xp pro, windows firewall and spybot search and destroy. Anti virus is AVG free edition.
I've done MSCONFIG as suggested but that hasn't made any difference.
Could the problem be in the bios start up configuration ? Currently I'm running at c,cdrom,a ( I have nor a drive which was the floppy disk but that has been removed.

€dstowe 18:31 27 Feb 2007

Do you really mean 3 - 4 HOURS to boot up?

Half the working day will have gone before your computer is operational.

As a thought, it might be a failing power supply unit.

Chrispbug 19:21 27 Feb 2007

Yes it really does take 3 - 4 hours to start up !!
I thought it might have something to do with the internal battery so I changed that - no difference at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?