Serious Hard Disc Problem

Dioxynucleic 14:32 27 Feb 2007

Hi.

Me again.

I run a Mesh Matrix 3000+ NY on an AMD Athlon T 64 3500+ Processor with 1024 Mb RAM and a 250GB hard rive. It has a 128 Mb nVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE graphics card an an Acer 1916W 19 inch wide screen monitor.

This morning I had a serious systems crash. I tried to do a restore using a backup done with Acronis True Home 10, but the program simply froze and appeared not to work.

I therefore decided to do a reinstall from the Mesh recovery disc.

Having reinstalled and updated a number of programs I received a message to the effect I was low on disc space. Checking on My Computer I found the C Drive labelled RECOVERY (C:) and showing 4.14 GB of used space and only 260 MB of free space.

The disc is a Maxtor 6L250S0. Something awful has happened, obviously. And I've no idea how to proceed.

Help would be appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:50 27 Feb 2007

My computer - right click - Manage - Storage - diskmanagement.

What can you see under the heading Volumes?

Dioxynucleic 15:05 27 Feb 2007

Okay.

Top window:

RECOVERY C Partition Basic FAT32 Healthy (System) 4.39GB 248 MB Free space 5% Free

Bottom Window:
DISK 0
Basic
233.76 GB

RECOVERY (C:)
4.40 GB FAT 32
Healthy (System)

229.36 GB
Unallocated

I've loaded the OS & programs into the wrong partition, haven't I? is there any hope?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 27 Feb 2007

Hope?

Can get all your drive back but not sure how to get the recovery partion back to where it started in case you need to recover again.

What folders / files do you have on Recovery C is there anything that looks like a back up image?

Dioxynucleic 15:24 27 Feb 2007

Hi.

There are two folders which appear to be if not a back up image then some sort of revovery material: minint & pq.

Other folders in the partition are what you would expect under the circumstances: Documents And Settings, Drivers, Windows, etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:15 27 Feb 2007

I think you should have a hidden partition FAT32 4973.2GB (4.4 sounds about right)
containing
[FOLDERS] CMDCONS, MININT, PQ
[FILES] CMLDR, NTLDR, BOOT, NTDETECT

could do with someone with a Mesh to confirm this.

1. To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you
want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.
2. In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
3. Click the type of partition that you want to create (Primary partition), and then click Next.
4. Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, and then click Next.
5. Let the system automatically enumerate the drive, and then click Next.
6. Format the partition, click Format this partition with the following settings, and then complete the following procedure in the Format dialog box:
a. Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
b. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box (NTFS).
Click Next.

7. Confirm that the options that selected are correct, and then click Finish.

This will get your disk space back

What we need to do once you have done that is change the system drive letter and then reletter this new partition as C.

Before we do that hopefully someone will confirm the drive letter needed for the hidden partition.

Dioxynucleic 16:35 27 Feb 2007

Okay. The folder CMDCONS doesn't appear to be present.

The files CMLDR, NTLDR & BOOT dont appear to be present either.

There are variations on Boot (e.g.BOOTRESTORE in PQ & BOOTFIX in MININT). NT DETECT is present in MININT.

What size should I make the partiton?

Dioxynucleic 16:49 27 Feb 2007

Re: the drive letters.

I have a floppy drive (A); four removable drives (D,E,F & G) and a DVD-RW drive (H).

Would it be assuming too much to believe the hidden partition should be B.

Finally, how do I get the folders DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, DRIVERS, Program Files and Windows on to the C drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 27 Feb 2007

Would it be assuming too much to believe the hidden partition should be B?

B is nolonger used on modern computers was used for a second floppy drive.

Windows will have allocated drive letters to the DVD and card reader slots.

If yiu can change the system drive letter click here

Then it might be woth trying to restore your Acronis image to the new partition.

Dioxynucleic 17:58 27 Feb 2007

Do I enable file and folder compression?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:38 27 Feb 2007

NO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone