serious fault

aboutit 09:02 03 Jun 2007

I switched my pc on and got the message could not start properly tried start normal/last known good etc and nothing. Finally decided to do a reformat after recovery disc woud not recover the pc. Reinstalled windows xp with a brand new disc reloaded programmes and everything was fine. switched the computer off turned on again next day and received the same message again. can anyone please advise

birdface 09:09 03 Jun 2007

Hi.I soppose your computer was keeping good time,Thought it may have been your your cmos battery was playing up and needing renewing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:12 03 Jun 2007

What is the message exactly?

Sounds like corruption on the HDD boot to recovery console using the XP CD and run chkdsk /r

Fingees 09:14 03 Jun 2007

Just wondering if the battery has gone that controls the bios. That could cause a lot of instability, and prevent loading, but it's usually noticed by the clock not keeping correct time, before any problems.

If however it has malfunctioned, I suppose it could be the problem.

aboutit 09:27 03 Jun 2007

the message is windows cannot start could be a recent prgramm change or hardware fault then given options of start normally etc. this is a desktop pc windows xp home clock was showing correct time. I can start safe mode with networking but can`t see anything wrong in the control panel

birdface 09:42 03 Jun 2007

Sounds like a Bios problem then.Normally if it starts in safe mode there is usually not much wrong with it,But will leave it to the experts to advise.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 03 Jun 2007

If it starts in safe mode but not in normal mode thwn most likely a driver problem.

In safe mode unistall the drivers one at a time starting with the graphics drivers and attempt to boot normaly after each removal.

If it boots normaly then reinstal the driver.

birdface 21:35 04 Jun 2007

Have you tried device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks against any of your device's

birdface 21:37 04 Jun 2007

Or have a look at this,See if it helps. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?