Serious error message after restore - all the time

montyburns 14:06 18 Oct 2003

Just had a bit of a problem with some newly installed software locking up my PC and refusing to do a clean reboot, so I've taken it off and used System Restore to get back to a previous working environment

After restore I got

Microsoft Windows
The system has recovered from a serious error

And then the option to send Microsoft an error report. I chose not to, and assumed that was it. But now every time I log on I get the same message, and this time from a normal, succesfull boot up?

Anyone got any idea what this is all about?

Thanks

woodchip 14:09 18 Oct 2003

What OS

montyburns 16:32 18 Oct 2003

Oops!

Always forget that bit - it's on XP

cheers

woodchip 16:43 18 Oct 2003

Will this run from the run box,? Sanreg/restore try it . If it does put an old date back

woodchip 16:44 18 Oct 2003

Sorry Scanreg/Restore

VoG II 17:09 18 Oct 2003

No scanreg in XP unfortunately.

Try a repair of XP click here

woodchip 17:19 18 Oct 2003

Or check MSCONFIG from start/run and see if you can see a tick in a box in startup tab that links to your prob and remove it

montyburns 17:21 18 Oct 2003

Strewth! That sounds scarey!

I really don't want to have to go to the lengths of restoring XP - it's working OK but I'm just being bugged by this recurring message

Rather put up with it than do an re-install... I;ll save that experience for when it goes completely belly up!! ;-)

montyburns 17:25 18 Oct 2003

Just looked at the MSCONFIG thing

Got something called "erTray" - the rest look pukka. Going to try unticking that......

!

JIM 17:43 18 Oct 2003

If you have the service pack installed this will i supose be no good to you.If you do not have or do not want the service pack,there is the work around.

"Still look around for any of your newly uninstalled software that may be left behind as even winxp can give false messages that may not apply."

click here;en-us;317277

You Receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" Message After Every Restart

SYMPTOMS
If Windows XP restarts because of a serious error, the Windows Error Reporting tool prompts you to report the problem to Microsoft for troubleshooting purposes. Windows may begin prompting you to report this information every time you restart the computer, even if no error occurred during the previous session. After this problem begins to occur, you are prompted to send the information after every restart, even if you choose not to send the information.

CAUSE
This problem occurs because after a Minidump (or memory dump) file is written, the paging file continues to have a flag set that indicates that a memory dump file needs to be written.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

montyburns 17:46 18 Oct 2003

Thanks for that!

Have investigated a bit further and found a "minidump" thing

I have a service pack on a CD-r, which is not bang up to date, but might have the relevent info on. If not, I'll have to bite the bullet and download something (I say this as it looks to take HOURS!)

Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?