Serios problems after running an antivirus scan...

El Mattador 15:05 13 Sep 2003

Ive got Windows ME, and after reading an article in PCAdvisor issue 97 (p146), decided to install AntiVir personal edition. i did this, and ran the program, thinking it would improve the security etc on my CPU. However, there re now some seriously strange goings on in my PC. I can no longer access any control panel options - i am simply told

"Windos cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

In addition, a large number of programs now don't work either, for example when i try to load up the AntiVir program again i am told

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWIN.EXE'. You may have typed the name incorectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and the click Search."

Doing this works with some progmrams, which i can open when i go to 'open with', and open the file with its program, but his does not work with them all.

The only thing i can think which has caused this is that i have deleted some vital files on the advice of the AntiVir programme, because it told me it detected a 'worm' or something similar in that file. Is this what has happened? Does anyone know what i can do to sort this problem out?

Jester2K II 15:08 13 Sep 2003

"Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVWIN.EXE'. You may have typed the name incorectly in the Run dialog, or another open program cannot find a system file. To search for a file, click the Start button, and the click Search."

Soudns like a damaged installation.

Uninstall AntiVir and either

1) reinstall it

2) install AVG click here free

What was the worm?

MichelleC 15:09 13 Sep 2003

Clean uninstall AntiVir (which I use but it still missed 3 which Housecall picked up), then reboot and see.

El Mattador 15:17 13 Sep 2003

the problem is i cant uninstall it either, i am just told the same message again, that windows cannot find

"'C:\Program Files\AVPersonal\AVUNINST.EXE'

etc etc

basically NOTHING on my CPU works NEmore ecxept the internet, and even that won't run off the toolbar at the bottom of the screen.

Jester2K II 15:19 13 Sep 2003

Start backing up any importnant work before ahything else goes wrong.

Do you use system restore? Can you go back to before you install the AntiVir?

krypt1c 15:20 13 Sep 2003

OK then, shutdown antivir, then go to click here and try running an on-line scan.

WaiKent 15:33 13 Sep 2003

a quick back-up of your information and then quick format is my option, as it will clear up any problem, although it takes a while installing your programs back but it should work no matter what.

Belatucadrus 16:51 13 Sep 2003

Software removal :- Smart uninstaller click here MyUninstaller click here

Should shift it.

Gaz 25 18:07 13 Sep 2003

I would see my website click here

and click here

Gaz 25 18:08 13 Sep 2003

Look: AntiVir
Passed 11 out of 20

El Mattador 01:18 14 Sep 2003

the main problem i have is that whenever i try to open an application, eg word or a game or even system restore, i am told that the .EXE file cannot be found.

I can circumvent this problem - i find the exe myself in search, open its containing folder, copy it and turn it into a compressed file, then open it (Open with... when right click) with its appropriate application.

Thus i reckon that the whatever shortcut usually does this, or something similar, automatically, has been deleted.

How do i restore my system using my ME CD? Because system restore doesn't work - so thats the only other option i know. Its just that when i put the ME CD into the computer, i can't actually use it, none of the links work - the computer just makes a sort of 'honk' noise when i try to push one of the buttons e.g. 'Browse the contents of this CD'.

i am probably being quite dense, but ive never has to do this b4!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?