september issue pc advisor

aine 11:59 17 Jul 2006

please explain go to features folder if the program on the disc does not operate, wheres the features folder for startuplist. my pc takes ages to start up, its an inspiron 2200 1.4mgh.my startup list is extensive. any help would be welcome

johnnyrocker 13:48 17 Jul 2006

start/run msconfig and untick the start up items you dont want, if i understand you correctly.

johnny.

RickyC :-) 14:02 17 Jul 2006

aine - apologies for any confusion, this isn't referring to the startup list.

After booting up your PC, with the PC Advisor CD or DVD in your drive, go to the Start button, click on Run. Then type "d:/features". This will open Windows Explorer at the Features folder from the disc (provided D is the letter assigned to your CD or DVD drive - change this letter if not).

You will then be able to access the files which are contained in the Features folder, by going to the folder which will be named after the particular feature.

Please contact me directly using the yellow envelope by my user name if you have any further questions.

kind regards

Richard
Cover Disc Editor

aine 14:28 17 Jul 2006

thanks for your speedy replies,johnneynocker & editor.Iam not sure which programmes to disable,due to my inexperence half of my ram is used for startup.Icant send you print of my startup list because I dont know how. help

ed-0 15:49 17 Jul 2006

" Iam not sure which programmes to disable,due to my inexperence "

No problem. If you use XP, then you can use the disable all tab. It will ask you to reboot. You will then get a screen saying you are running in diagnostic mode ( or similar ). Just put a tick in the box that says " don't show this again "

The only exception to disabling everything that I would suggest, is that you keep your anti-virus programmes running and if you use a separate firewall ( not windows firewall).

Run that and see if it gives you a bit extra memory.

skidzy 16:14 17 Jul 2006

aine...If you are worried about what is needed for startup you might want to consider this (startup Inspector) click here

This will advise you accordingly.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?