Separate Modem / Router setup

RickB 08:23 15 Aug 2006

I'm trying to set up a DLink DSL300T standalone modem to run with a Linksys WRK546 wired/wireless router.

The modem works fine and when plugged directly into the PC direct, I can access my Tiscali broadband Internet, no problem.

When the router is introduced into the line I get that a connection has been established and all the lights seem to be showing the modem is talking to the outside world as normal, but internet access is not available. It seems the router is not linking up with the modem correctly.

One problem seems to be that both units are accessed via 192.168.1.1. I can only access the modem when the router is not present.

I've tried swapping the Linksys with a similar DLink DI-624 router and get the same problem - no link up between the two units.

I feel there is some simple point i am missing here - any thoughts?

Thanks

Rick

FelixTCat 08:35 15 Aug 2006

Rick,

First, disconnect the modem from the router. Log into the router and change its address to 192.168.1.2.

You should also make sure that only one of the modem or router has its DHCP server enabled (i.e. is issuing IP addresses to the network). Set the range to start at 192.168.1.3

Reconnect the modem and router and try again. Make sure that you connect the modem to the router's WAN port (sometimes called the uplink port).

If you still cannot connect, it is possible that you meed a different type of ethernet cable to connect the 2, a cross-over cable.

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?