Sent emails in Thunderbird... 7000 of them!

nick_j007 13:13 05 Sep 2010

My email is used for business and pleasure, and I have accrued over 7000 of them over the years.

Can anyone advise me what to do with them please?

How do I back them up and away from the programme? The memory bar is showing 75% full now, so I ought to clear some away.

TIA.

Nick

Ashrich 14:44 05 Sep 2010

click here , it may help you some .

Ashley

accordion 14:44 05 Sep 2010

Have you thought about deleting most of them?

If we were still in the pre-computer times, where people wrote letters and posted invoices etc, there is no way that you would want to keep 7000 sheets of paper stashed somewhere.

Any emails that need to be saved can easily be moved to a storage folder or two - just create the folders and drag any emails you want to keep directly from Thunderbird into the folders.

Then delete them all - well at least anything that is over say, a year old.

Dave

nick_j007 16:15 05 Sep 2010

Before I start mess about with my files, is it possible to 'harvest' all the email addresses from my emails into say an alphabetical list (eliminating duplicates too) ready for some marketing efforts later on?

Any pointers there would be terrific thanks.

accordion 19:00 05 Sep 2010

It's a long time since I used Thunderbird, but in other email clients, you can right-click on any sender's email address in the From field, and choose 'add to address book' to save it.

You should also be able to sort the addresses into alphabetical order, this is probably automatic. If you don't get a prompt to warn you that the address is already saved, it will be fairly easy to spot eh duplicates and delete them

Have fun,

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?