Sending Texts via Landline using a Computer

climb45 10:06 11 Feb 2011

Is there software that would allow me to compose a text on the computer then send it using my landline? My computer is connected to my landline via a Conexant SmartHSFi V92 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem.

MaverickAus 10:09 11 Feb 2011

Why not just use one of the many websites to send texts from your pc?

climb45 11:03 11 Feb 2011

I have free texts included in my landline package but don't have an SMS capable phone. Upgrading my phone would obviously be an option, but I am interested to know whether I could make use of my computer, rather than replacing a handset which is fine apart from the lack of SMS ability.

GaT7 11:43 11 Feb 2011

Who are you with on your landline package? They may have a facility to send texts via their website. BT used to have such a facility called Web2SMS in the past.

Or, like MaverickAus suggests, use one of the many free text websites click here. G

climb45 12:03 11 Feb 2011

I am with BT and have just searched on Web2SMS within the BT website. The result that comes up leads to a broken link, so maybe they have discontinued this service. I will ask BT directly. Thanks for the tip.

GaT7 12:26 11 Feb 2011

Yes, Web2SMS has been discontinued - that's why I said 'used to have'. G

robin_x 13:31 11 Feb 2011

This one worked, last I looked.

It is free, but they make their money by replies and possibly foreign texts.

The text gives their sign off details. So put yours in your message.

click here

BRYNIT 13:48 11 Feb 2011

If you have Windows 7 you could use Windows fax and scan allready installed click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?