Sending scan of painting attached to email

scot22 21:54 08 Apr 2017

I am wanting to send scans of some paintings to a gallery. I have a standard Packard Bell imedia computer. If I get a high quality scan from somewhere else with superior equipment can I send it as an attachment on my email ? If I do will it be received as a high quality scan or limited by my computer ?

wee eddie 22:29 08 Apr 2017

The email service, that you use, will almost certainly, limit the number of MB of content that you are able to include in a single email.

You may well be advised to "Watermark" any of your work that you send. Amongst other things, it is more professional

wee eddie 22:32 08 Apr 2017

A photograph, taken with a decent Digital Camera should be sufficient. Remember to include either the measurements or a common item so that they are able to gauge the size of the painting

scot22 23:51 08 Apr 2017

As I am the first to acknowledge I am a novice. So if the email service limits the MB does that restrict the quality of the image ? Is there any way to improve this ? Is there a best way to send images ? Does the email tell me how to watermark ? Apologies for my ignorance. I appreciate you giving your time to enlighten people like me.

alanrwood 09:19 09 Apr 2017

No. If the file is too large it will simply be rejected. ISPs don't change the file and can' reduce quality. You could try using a service such as "Send Large Files".

scot22 09:25 09 Apr 2017

Thanks - I'll get on with that.

Secret-Squirrel 09:27 09 Apr 2017

So if the email service limits the MB does that restrict the quality of the image ?

No, it won't. If the file size exceeds the email-provider's limits then it'll fail to send.

Is there a best way to send images ?

When you get your high quality scans, let me know the file sizes and I'll tell you whether they're fine to email or not. If not then you could use an online file-sharing service and email the link.

By the way, you don't need to watermark the images. You're not a professional artist and the watermark may obscure some of the detail in the painting.

scot22 11:37 09 Apr 2017

Thanks Secret Squirrel - a very helpful forum that encourages people, rather than how some others seem to be.

alanrwood 12:26 09 Apr 2017

Re above:

No. If the file is too large it will simply be rejected. ISPs don't change the file and can' reduce quality. You could try using a service such as "Send Large Files".

it should have read

No. If the file is too large it will simply be rejected. ISPs don't change the file and can't reduce quality. You could try using a service such as "Send Large Files".

Sorry missed the letter T on can't

scot22 12:43 09 Apr 2017

thanks for clarification. My concern was if a high quality scan could be debased by the quality of my computer when sending.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros