Sending myself spam

jtw 11:14 28 Nov 2008

Seem to be getting a few spammy emails that have my own email address as sender. Is this normal or am I the victim of some sort of virusy thing?

Rahere 11:25 28 Nov 2008

Usually just a trick by spammers to hide their own email address.

But if you are worried run a full scan with your antivirus program amd install update and run the following free Anti-malware programs:

Superantispyware click here
Malwarebytes antimalware removal tool click here
Spybot S&D click here
A squared anti malware click here

And as a backup scan try one an online scan with many reputable companies – be careful to choose companies that are trustworthy not just those that come up in google sponsored links!!

Eset online scan click here
Kaspersky click here

or download AV scanner Dr.Web ® CureIt! ® click here

if everything id clear after thid lot then you are pretty safe providing you use a decent firewall and good antivirus!

Ask here for more advice if you need it

User-1229748 11:25 28 Nov 2008

just delete them,if your pc is running ok it's doubtfull you have a virus,more likely phishing emails after your personal details and the like.

User-1229748 11:25 28 Nov 2008

just delete them,if your pc is running ok it's doubtfull you have a virus,more likely phishing emails after your personal details and the like.

User-1229748 11:26 28 Nov 2008

whoops :o)

jtw 11:29 28 Nov 2008

Ah! So it could be me after my own details. Clever eh?

rdave13 11:40 28 Nov 2008

If your PC is clean after running the scans then change your passwords. Don't tell your other self the passwords incase you start spamming yourself again..;))

User-1229748 11:55 28 Nov 2008

it's my old age setting in :o)

jtw 13:47 28 Nov 2008

Brilliant. I've got to the stage where I don't know who I am or what I am doing anymore so this should confuse me so that I don't know my personal details. All sorted then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie