Sending Motherboard/Processor through Royal Mail

23790954 19:13 06 Jul 2010

I am about to send a Motherboard/Processor bundle through the post with Royal Mail.
I hope this does not sound like a silly question, but is it safe, as regards damage etc., to secure the processor in its' correct place, and send the motherboard with the processor in place.
I do not want to send it this way, if it is likely to damage either motherboard or processor.
It will of course be well packed in anti-static wrapping etc.
Many thanks for advice on this matter.

northumbria61 22:42 06 Jul 2010

As long as it is well packaged it should be okay. Just make sure there is no movement - ie; the item should be packaged in anti-static wrapping and secured with tape to prevent any movement before placing into a box which has either plenty of foam or polystyrene packed as tightly as possible. Then strong brown tape or similar to secure. You will be wasting your time if you write on "fragile" or similar wording - that is no substitute for correct packaging.

northumbria61 22:44 06 Jul 2010

that is no substitute for correct packaging - should read "That is no excuse for INCORRECT packaging"

kjrider 23:39 06 Jul 2010

Make sure you get a certificate of posting (free) that gives you 100 x 1st class for compensation, or more if needed.. And don't be put off by the inial offer of a book of stamps for compensation.

KJR

ashdav 00:05 07 Jul 2010

I wouldn't send it with the heatsink and fan on.
Cpu in its socket is ok.
Package the heatsink and fan separately.

gengiscant 07:22 07 Jul 2010

I have,after an Ebay sale sent motherboard/CPU and heatsink and ram via the post.I wrapped the whole thing in bubble wrap,placed in a box stuffed with shredded paper.No problems.
As has already been stated, make sure you get proof of postage,even better,send it recorded delivery, although basic compensation is only £34.Mind you, it is necessary to jump through a few hoops to get that.

23790954 12:15 07 Jul 2010

Many thanks to you all. I am quite happy about sending through post, following your advice.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone