Sending files through Windows Messenger

kingkenny 22:41 19 Apr 2003

Hello All,

I have this slight niggle.

I can send files through Windows Messenger no problem at all, but when I click accept to receive a file from a contact it just freezes for 10-15 seconds and then informs me that it has failed.

I am using Win XP with Win Messenger 4.7. I aslo use Norton FW2003 and have checked the configuration of this program to see if it is the problem. In the choose programs part I have selected Permit All for each Messenger entry but this does not seem to have made any difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this problem?

Paperback Writer 22:44 19 Apr 2003

I'd disable the firewall temporarily if I were you whilst you sent/received your files.

Also, check if the XP built in firewall is on.

melany_lait 22:55 19 Apr 2003

What firewall are you using if you are using one?

kingkenny 23:04 19 Apr 2003

I am using, as mentioned, the above firewall and have tried turning it off for a short period but that doesn't make any difference. Plus I don't like getting caught with my pants down (but thats another story!!).

My firewall doesn't awaken from it slumber when I try to accept a file. I thought that it would and let me authorise messenger to start the transfer. This is suggesting to me that my FW may not be the issue.

I have not checked the XP firewall and I will try this now.

In the meantime any other thoughts?

kingkenny 23:08 19 Apr 2003

It has been so long since I looked for this function that I have forgotten, can anyone point me in the right direction to check this?

A big D'Oh!!!

kingkenny 23:10 19 Apr 2003

Sorry found it!!

It was not on.

Back to square one then..

kingkenny 13:18 12 May 2003

Still not getting anywhere on this matter!!!

It is beginning to get annoying. I have checked all firewall settings (both XP and Norton) and it still won't accept files from contacts. I was trying it out with a new contact recently. He sent a file because I wanted to show him the message that comes up when it fails. It worked!!!! twice!!!

So I thought it had fixed itself. I then tried it with my other contacts (4) and it was the same as before.....failed!!! aaaarrrgggghhhh!!

I have checked the folder that should receive these files and it has the file details but all the files are 0kb in size! Can anyone help further?

fitshase 15:23 12 May 2003

Could it be the firewall on the other end (i.e., your other contacts (4) who have a firewall that will not allow messenger to send a file)?

Try telling them to disable any firewall and then try it.

Don't know if it'll work but it's something to try.

Regards

Fitshase

karad 15:58 12 May 2003

I have this same problem so I sympathize with you. I can receive files from all my contacts except my friend who lives in Holland. We have both tried everything, switching off firewalls, virus protectors and nothing works, so I'll wait with baited breathe if I may on your thread for an answer.

kingkenny 18:03 12 May 2003

I have been having a look around the internet trying to firgure this annoying niggle.

Some sites say that it is because messenger 4.7 isn't completely uPnP format so it can do most things and gets stuck on others. I downloaded MSN messenger 5.0 and it started running alongside windows messenger 4.7. The two kept attempting to kick each other. But there is not obvious way to remove Windows messenger.

had a look around as I said, if this helps anyone else:

click here

click here;en-us;313973

Can anyone help me solve this problem. The second link is what is happening to me but I have tried this and it doesn't work.

kingkenny 18:09 12 May 2003

click here;en-us;313973

sorry that 2nd link again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?