Sending drawings by email

greybeard 21:52 12 Feb 2003

I run coreldraw7 on win98SE and I should like to send a dimensioned sketch to someone who hasn't got the same software.
Corel has an "export via internet" choice, but when I tried to open the saved file in IE6 the result was a grey background screen - no drawing.
Saving the draw file as a gif or bmp or jpeg loses all the fine detail.
Is there a universal draw equivalent of jpeg ?
Any other ideas would be welcome.

jazzypop 22:42 12 Feb 2003

.WMF (Windows Meta File) is the nearest equivalent to a universal Draw file - all drawing programs, many graphics viewers, even MSWord can use it.

Even better, save as/export to .PDF , and view it in Adobe Acrobat Reader (if V7 of Coreldraw has that option - I can't remember offhand, certainly the more recent versions can).

You could try selecting the whole graphic, Copy and then Paste into MSWord - it just might retain sufficient detail.

Pesala 22:44 12 Feb 2003

Does your friend need to edit the drawing, or just look at it? You could print it to a file formatted for his printer, and email that *.prn file.

He does a binary copy to his printer from a DOS box:

COPY Filename.prn lpt1:/b

That would give him a sharp printout.

I use Corel Draw 9
I have a customised London Underground Map, quite detailed, lots of text. Exported as WMF (329 Kbytes) Text as Text, and imported that into Page Plus DTP. Looked pretty good.

greybeard 23:56 12 Feb 2003

It looks like wmf, but I do like that idea of a printer file - seems quite a lateral piece of thinking !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone