Sender Policy Framework

Batch 16:40 12 Dec 2007

I use a variety of email addresses for different purposes. All but one of these are not from my broadband service provider (BSP). In the main they are from old dial-up ISPs and, where I send mails from them, I route mails out by the BSP's mail SMTP servers.

I've never had a problem with this until the last couple of days. One email was getting bounced and the bounce back included a link like: click here

From this I deduce that the recipient's mail service is checking whether the sending server was the correct one for the domain of the sending email address (of course it wasn't - see first para above, hence the bounce).

I can see why they are implementing this kind of policy (i.e. as a way of catching spam), but it does have ramifications (at least for people like me). Has anyone else had experience of this and is there, realistically, anything that can be done to circumvent it?

Batch 08:39 13 Dec 2007

bump

brundle 08:45 13 Dec 2007

Use a GMail account as SMTP server?
click here

Batch 10:34 13 Dec 2007

I'll bear that in mind if it becomes a real pain as I don't really want yet more infrastructure to frig around with.

An observation on the original objective of the Gmail item linked to. It seems unnecessary to use Gmail to achieve this in a location where you can readily identify the SMTP server of the current connection (e.g. visiting relatives) as, in my experience, you can just send through the SMTP server of whoever you are currently connected to. That's exactly what I do and why I have the issue that has now come to light.

Fingees 10:49 13 Dec 2007

If you are using an old Email ISP or numerous ISPs, I
You must dial up to them at least once per 90 days, or after 180days,you will no longer be able to use them.

Most will clear you email records after 280 days if you don't dial up on pay as you go, to keep your account alive.

Batch 10:58 13 Dec 2007

I think you'll find that it depends on the ISP. Certainly freeserve aka wanadoo aka orange are as you say, but some others don't seem to care.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?