Sender id

phil 19:33 24 Apr 2008

I've just sent a mass email via my phpBB message board and now I've received a bounce email from my server with this Windows Live Hotmail message. These are just two out of hundreds in the email.

--------------------------------------

[email protected]>:
Connected to 65.54.244.40 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 550 OU-002 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit click here for email delivery information and support

[email protected]>:
Connected to 65.54.244.72 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 550 OU-002 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins, please visit h t tp://postmaster.live.com for email delivery information and support

-----------------------------------

I went to see the page on the .live.com page but learned totally nothing on how to force my emails through this poorly thought out spam control or how to stop this happening again.

Has anyone else come up against it and how did you get round it?

Forum Editor 07:40 25 Apr 2008

at all, it's a system that is in place to stop people using the Live hotmail servers for spamming purposes, and - as you've discovered - it's very efficient.

If you are a legitimate sender of mass mail it's a fairly simple (and free) process to add your SPF record to the MSN databases. That will ensure that in future any mail from you that is inbound to the Live Hotmail servers will be checked to see that it is actually coming from your domain.

click here to start the process.

phil 13:38 25 Apr 2008

Thanks for that FE.

I do understand the need for spam control but when you suddenly have over a hundred very important emails fail to get delivered you tend to be a bit pee'd off.

I have now gone through the process but with my host being Streamline there seems to be no way to access my DNS records.

I've opened a ticket asking them to do it for me or tell me how it's done.

I don't really expect any constructive help from them. Just to say read the T's & C's because they do not support remote software and to have a nice day.

phil 14:07 25 Apr 2008

As expected:

-----------------------------------------------

Hi Philip

Thank you for your query

Unfortunately for both security and performance reasons it is not possible to change server settings, apologies for any inconvenience.

Kind Regards,
StreamlineNet
Streamline.Net - The home of good value web hosting

We hope you have a good weekend. Have you seen our new support centre? You can visit it at: click here

--------------------------------------

So where do I go from here?

walesrob 22:29 25 Apr 2008

SPF is not a reliable method for spam control, in my experience. It certainly helps, but there could be other factors why email is not reaching Live Mail servers, such as poorly configured email servers.

If its any help, if you want to post the headers from one of the bounced emails, we can see where its going wrong. Remember to remove any personal information first!

I'm surprised Streamline wont allow you any control over your domain's own DNS - every web host I've used always allows me some degree of access to DNS.

walesrob 22:33 25 Apr 2008

Also check this link:

click here

Seems Microsoft has a problem with the IP range you supplied.

walesrob 23:16 25 Apr 2008

Phil, thanks, I sent an email.....hope that doesn't bounce as well!!!

Forum Editor 13:19 26 Apr 2008

tp resolve problems like this. We're here so that everyone can see the process, and perhaps others can benefit from the solutions offered. In future it will be better if you respond here, in your thread, rather than emailing other forum members.

I've deleted the post in which you published your personal email address - it's a bad idea to do that on a public web forum.

Forum Editor 13:22 26 Apr 2008

"there could be other factors why email is not reaching Live Mail servers"

My reading of the information in the initial post tells me that mail is reaching the Live Mail servers - it's being rejected by them.

phil 15:14 26 Apr 2008

FE. I would normally post the problem on here but if you could see the size (length) of the email I had received then you would understand why I didn't.

I'm sure that Rob could vouch for that.

walesrob 19:10 26 Apr 2008

FE and Phil, having looked at the email headers, there is an IP address thats listed on the DNSBL known open relay list. I've advised Phil to contact Tiscali to get this removed from the list.

Indeed, I can confirm, the headers were very long!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone