sempron or celeron ?

rob-40 19:20 15 Oct 2006

hi im looking for a pc for my 15 year old daughter mainly used for msn, d/loading pics and photos and web surfing,im lookonig for a budget pc so its SEMPRON or CELERON processer ? which one is best ? thanks rob

SANTOS7 19:27 15 Oct 2006

In this regard, I think the Sempron will do fantastic. If AMD wanted to once again dominate the low-cost market, all they would have to do is bump up their Sempron to use the Barton core with twice the L2 cache and maybe raise the FSB to the 400 MHz speed to get the added memory bandwidth. For now, they seem content with a smaller margin of victory over the Celeron.

click here

text taken from link..

Jimmy14 19:28 15 Oct 2006

Read this paragraph that I picked up from a hardware website,
"The performances of older Celerons are inferior to the other processors, however, the updated D version had better results. Compared to the Sempron 2800+, the Celeron D 335 had good results. The overall Celeron D 335 performance was even a little bit better than the Sempron 2800+. The Sempron had better results with 3D rendering and scientific calculations, however these applications are not usually associated with bottom of the line processors. Finally, the performance of the Sempron 2800+ was equivalent to the Athlon XP 2500+."

Going from that and other websites there isn't any major differences between Celeron D and Sempron. By the way, desktop PC's are that cheap these you will probably get a Pentium 4 with most of them for maybe a couple of pounds more than a sempron or celeron. It's up to you. Look at the website that concentrates on the comparison between the 2 processors,
click here

Totally-braindead 19:43 15 Oct 2006

Personally I don't think it makes that much difference in the real world. A Celeron running at 2.8 ghz will be fairly similar to a Sempron 2800+. There will of course be some difference but I don't think it will be enough that you would notice.
I like AMD chips so thats what I would go for but if I found the equivalent Celeron based computer was cheaper I'd certainly consider it.

woodchip 19:47 15 Oct 2006

You should get more bang for your bucks with Sempron, But Celeron should work better with graphics

ed-0 19:57 15 Oct 2006

This months PC Pro has a guide on ever cpu.

In the budget section the sempron 2800+ is the winner in the budget section with 4 stars. It beats it's rival celeron D 331 with it's 1 star.

Costs quoted are £26 for the amd and £33 for the intel chip.

So same as last time, sempron. click here

Totally-braindead 20:06 15 Oct 2006

Oh great. Its a duplicate thread.

rob-40 you could have just continued on your other posting. All you do is either ask if anyone else has anything to say or just type "bump" and that will bump the posting back up to the top of the Forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?