Selling on Ebay - Suspect buyer?

herc182 10:25 11 Dec 2006

Dear all,

I am new to ebay and selling stuff on there. I put my PSP on it and someone bought it by "buy it now".

I suspected them because they were no longer an Ebay member and wanted me to ship it to Nigeria. I sent Ebay an email and emailed the buyer saying i was verifying the authenticity of the email.

However, today i received an email from the buyer saying that she has paid into paypal. I received an email just before that from [email protected] saying that i was paid the full amount +£100!
All i need to do now is send it and give Paypal the shipping reference.

Does this all see legit? Is that money in my bank now as soon as I give them the shipping reference?

THanks

€dstowe 10:32 11 Dec 2006

Highly suspicious. Be very careful with any dealings with Nigeria.

Wait until you actually have the money in your bank account.

Regarding the extra £100 you have been paid, there may be a scam going on there where they ask that the money be returned via some complex method - don't know the details of the scam but it ends up with your bank account being emptied.

Gongoozler 10:36 11 Dec 2006

Two things make me suspicious here. Why is the buyer no longer a member? I think this is usually because Ebay has discontinued the membership. The email reference has europe.com as the ISP part, and I can't find any reference to that.
I would wait for the money to appear in your Paypal account.

herc182 10:41 11 Dec 2006

Just got a quote from DHL for delivery and they say around £75 (which explains the extra £100).
However, I have checked my paypal account and there is nothing in there (presumably there wont be until I get the shipping reference to them).

I am very cautious on this and especially through all the stuff i have heard about NIgerian scams.

I have sent a copy of the email to ebay and await their reply.

Selling is new to me on ebay, and I thought that the email from Paypal was a rubber stamp on the money being there and just a case of me posting it.

Is taht wrong?

herc182 10:44 11 Dec 2006

DEAR SELLER,

HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY?FINE I GUESS
I AM MRS TANYA WILSONS AND PRESENTLY ON VACATION IN THE BAHAMAS,I HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED BY EBAY TO CONTACT ON THE ITEM I AM BUYING FROM YOU.I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU COULD DO ME THIS FAVOURS.

FISRTLY I NEED A BIRTHDAY GIFT WRAPPER TO WRAP THE ITEM AS I AM SENDING IT TO A BROTHER IN-LAW.

SECONDLY,I WANT YOU TO WRITE FROM TANYA WILSONS TO SALAU OLUGOKE ON A PAPER AND PASTE IT AT THE TOP OF THE BOX.

THIRDLY,MY BROTHER IN-LAW IN PRESENTLY WORKING WITH SHELL IN AFRICA,SO I WANT YOU TO SHIP THE ITEM DIRECTLY TO HIM THROUGH DHL FIRST DAY DELIVERY. TO HIS ADDRESS BELOW:

BENJAMIN JOHNSON
16,OGUNWO STREET
VIA ONIWAYA ROAD
AGEGE,
LAGOS 23401
NIGERIA.

ADD UP THE COST OF THE ITEM,SHIPPING AND THE COST OF THE WRAPPER AND GIVE ME THE TOTAL AMOUNT.I WILL MAKE THE PAYMENT AS SOON AS I HEAR FROM YOU VIA PAYPAL ONCE I GET THE TOTAL FROM YOU.
LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR REPLY.

THANKS AND REGARDS

MRS TANYA WILSONS

herc182 10:45 11 Dec 2006

Hello
I have just made the payment via paypal and i made an extra 20pounds payment for you to buy nice wrapper and send the item via DHL FIRST DAY DELIVERY to get there quick and save, if i have any balance keep it to yourself. The money has already been deducted from my account.am very sure soonest you will receive a confirmation letter from paypal.
Below is my brother in law address i want you to send the item

Benjamin Johnson
16 ,ogunwo Street
Via Oniwaya Road
Agege,
Lagos 23401
Nigeria

I have made this payment via paypal to secure us both,i bought an ipod a month's ago with my son's ebay account paid via cheque,the seller receive the money and till now i have not received any ipod,you can see its sad.Now i dont want to fall for such again .

All you have to do is send the shipment reference number to paypal([email protected]) and they will credit your account with the money deducted from my paypal account.

Go and ship the item out right away via DHL FIRSTDAY DELIVERY as you know its a birthday present and has to get there fast and Get back to me as soon as Possible.

TANYA WILSONS

herc182 10:47 11 Dec 2006

You've Received Payment for an eBay item!

Dear Philip xxxxxxx,

Tanya Wilsons just sent you a payment of GBP 260.00 for an eBay item.

Tanya Wilsons is a Verified buyer.

Payment Details:

Buyer's User ID: tanya_wilsons13

Buyer: Tanya Wilsons

Amount: GBP 160.00

Shipping & Handling: GBP 100.00

Insurance: GBP 00.00

Sales Tax:

Total Amount: GBP 260.00

View the details of this transaction online

Item Information
eBay Item #: 130057495798

eBay User ID: herc182

eBay Item Headline: Sony PSP value pack with Splinter Cell and PES5

eBay Item Quantity:

eBay Item Unit Value: GBP 160.00

Shipping Information

Address:
Benjamin Johnson
16 ,ogunwo Street
Via Oniwaya Road
Agege,
Lagos 23401
Nigeria

Address Status: Confirmed

We need the shipping reference number from you to complete this transaction. Please provide this number immediately so that we can credit your account. The money has now been deducted from the buyer's account and is ready to be deposited into your account. It will be credited into your PayPal account ([email protected]) as soon as we receive the shipping reference / tracking number from you.The number is to be sent to:([email protected])
This is due to new policies at PayPal to protect both the buyer and the seller in the face of the growing number of fraudulent activities perpetrated via the internet. Your payment is intact. You are encouraged to complete this transaction.
Here at PayPal you can be assured that your security and safety is our topmost concern.
We hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team
PayPal Id 00432

De Marcus™ 10:49 11 Dec 2006

It's a scam. and an obvious one.

Gongoozler 11:00 11 Dec 2006

I see on ebay that Tanya Wilsons registered with Ebay on 9-12-06, and now on 11-12-06 is no longer registered. 2 days registered must be just about the shortest ever!

€dstowe 11:22 11 Dec 2006
  €dstowe 11:24 11 Dec 2006

Don't part with anything until you have the money in your hands.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?