selling on Ebay - high value item

Bansaw 16:57 07 Mar 2009

I have a high value item on Ebay for sale now, about £650 or so.

I've had a few bids for it, but I am a bit disturbed about the number of bidders who have no feedback rating. They are seemingly (?) new to Ebay.

Or, am I being a bit paranoid. With the value of the item, I'd rather sell to a proven Ebayer at a few quid less than a supposed newbie.

Any comments/advice?

PeeCee -idiot 17:04 07 Mar 2009

Hi, would your item be something the New ebay member could have bought on the high street? With the CC (cannot bring myself to say those words) maybe the new member feels they have a bargain?
Have you sold high priced items before?

Bagsey 17:16 07 Mar 2009

I think that you are worrying unnecessarily, Everyone has to start somewhere. However if you only release the item to be delivered when the money is in your bank then where is your worry. Make it clear in your postal notes that you would like payment by Paypal and you will be secure. If payment is by personal cheques make it cllear the the item will be dispached when the cheque is cleared.
I have to say that you are right to be careful, but I have only had one deal that went bad and Paypal sorted that out quickly for me.

Bansaw 17:50 07 Mar 2009

Thanks -- I suppose once I have their money in my PayPal a/c then I am secure and will send the item.
I am offering a 7 day money back guarantee. But its in great working order.

My item comes with a couple of good instructional DVDs worth about £70. So there was a worry that they might just copy them and send the whole thing back, but I think this is just a bit of paranoia on my part and not so logical that anyone would do that!

Kevscar1 18:30 07 Mar 2009

There are more crooks on ebay than there are in this countries prisons so be very careful. Make sure you follow Paypals instructions for delivery to the leter or you are likely to find the buyer claiming non-delvery to get there money back.

Bansaw 21:25 07 Mar 2009

Thanks, I changed my prefs below.

A quesiton: if my PayPal a/c has received the funds, that means that there is no danger to me? is that right? Or can the buyer suddenly withdraw and leave me standing?

HERE'S MY NEW EBAY PREFS:

Block buyers who:

Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 1 Month(s).

Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 1 Month(s).

Have a feedback score of -1 or lower.

Are currently winning or have bought 10 of my items in the last 10 days.
- Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of 5 or lower.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017