Self connecting BT broadband.

Rotenone 21:16 20 Apr 2007

When I have finished using BT Basic Broadband I disconnect it. Then a short time later I come back to the computer and find that it has re-connected by itself.What causes this and how can I correct it? It happens EVERY time I disconnect.

Dipso 22:00 20 Apr 2007

Strange...do you connect using a router or a modem?

Rotenone 22:16 20 Apr 2007

I use a BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL modem.

vitrocmax 23:36 20 Apr 2007

If you look at Tools/Internet Options/Connections you might find that the radio button 'Dial whenever a network connection is not present' has been selected.

As you know, using a USB ADSL modem is similar to dial-up, where you get a 'log-in' screen. This can have the connection and password saved.

You say '...a short time later I come back...' How short, and what if you don't go away? Is it seconds, or minutes?

This would attempt to connect if, say, Outlook Express was running and it wanted to check for new messages. I think this is 10 minutes by default.

I'm often wrong...

p;3 07:04 21 Apr 2007

are you switching the computer OFF or just leaving it on but with the broadband hopefully off?

also it may well BE a program seeking to connect to get its updates or for OE or whichever you use to get its mail from server

another point of course is, what protection do you have on there and when was it all last updated and all run?

Rotenone 18:02 21 Apr 2007

Victrocmax and p;3
I looked at Tools/Internet Options/Connections and 'Always dial my default connection' is checked.I do not switch the computer off.It is left on with BT Broadband disconnected(hopefully)The short time in which it re-connects is a few minutes at least.I have the full Norton Security 2006 package and I use Microsoft Outlook 2003(not Outlook Express).I have noticed recently that I keep getting a request for an update for SP 3 which is never successful.Can I disable the continued attempt to download this update? Maybe this will cure the continuing problem of self connection to BT broadband.

p;3 18:04 21 Apr 2007

service pack THREE?? of what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?