self build vs refurb

rorein 21:28 04 Nov 2010

I'm planning on building a PC for myself but as I have a few budget issues I am unsure of whether it would be cheaper to buy a refurb and upgrade it or just start from scratch.

It would mainly be used for watching videos etc but not for playing games so it won't need to be hi spec.

I currently use a laptop but at 4 years old it has trouble playing HD videos even with a RAM upgrade (max 2GB).

Any advice/opinions would be appreciated, Thanks

Terry Brown 09:55 05 Nov 2010

It depends on what you want it for.

Generally Refurb machines are ex-office and have quite a low specification (Hi-end graphics and games not required), and after quite a lot of use have been replaced with a new model.

If all you require is a machine for Office and Internet, then these should be OK, however if you want hi-end gaming, then the cost of upgrading will proberly be too high.

Bear in mind-- These machines will have NO opeating system, unless specified otherwise.

terry

Terry Brown 09:57 05 Nov 2010

cont

It is doubtful, if a refurb machine will be able to play HD videos any better than your laptop.
Terry

Terry Brown 16:06 08 Nov 2010

Just a thought
Are these video's that you have captured on a Hi-def Camera or Camcorder?

If so there may be a solution.

Download VIDEOREDO (15 day trial period- Full working order).If video's are in various pieces i.e. camera 1, camera 2 etcc drop themm all in together and the program will sort and create a mpeg file for you, which you can then edit of using dVD burning software burn to a DVD.

Videoredo does not have in-build DVD burning software.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?